1997 vortec 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff1953

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been having a brain fart, ok, was putting together a 97 350 and I was not thinking when I ordered parts and got the kit for a mid 80's 350 and my block is a 97 350, I have a cam question, ordered a flat lifter hydraulic cam will it work in the roller cam block, if not what do I need.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been having a brain fart, ok, was putting together a 97 350 and I was not thinking when I ordered parts and got the kit for a mid 80's 350 and my block is a 97 350, I have a cam question, ordered a flat lifter hydraulic cam will it work in the roller cam block, if not what do I need.

Pushrods, Lifters, Timing set and it will work. Did a Lunati HE 268 flat tappet cam in the L30 305 spare parts motor I built for an Astro van that ended up in my Tahoe. Break it in properly with a good Zinc additive and it should do just fine. Actually worked pretty well getting 218/218 @ .050 duration in the Vortec engine and worked with the stock springs.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes no sense to install a flat-tappet cam in a block that can accept an OEM-style hydraulic roller cam.

Pistons for the older application will have wide ring grooves, and there's no telling what they have for compression distance. They could wind up .040 in the hole, or more. Again, not a recommended plan.

Send the kit back. Get the more-modern parts. BE CAREFUL with piston compression distance--the aftermarket loves to fudge that, and then you have no quench, and less compression ratio than you expect.

jeff1953

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for your Info. I already had all the new parts when I noticed the older block I was needed bored out so I thought I would try putting one together like that, or even a budget build I suppose, when I get it in and running I will let you all know how it turns out and thanks again for your help.