1997 Suburban 6" RCD lift wheel backspacing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just got a good deal on a set of 18"x9" rims for my suburban with 5" of backspacing. However, I just realized that RCD says with its lift kits you have to go with 4.5" max backspacing on a 16x9 rim or 4.75" of backspacing on 17" rims and up. If my new rims have a 5" backspace, what should I expect to rub? I've looked online & it's either the calipers, steering knuckle, or the upper A-Arm.

My other question is whether I should run a 0.25" wheel spacer, or grind away at what ever part rubs the tire or rim until it fits?

A spacer would be easier, but I've read how treacherous they can be. If it comes down to my wheel flying off on the interstate, I will grind at whatever is hitting.

Right now I'm running a 17x9 with 4.5" of backspacing & everything is about an inch away from the steering knuckle & A-arm.

Thanks!

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im running spacers on mine and havnt had any problem. If it was me I would run them before starting to grind stuff off.

Reaction score
What type of spacers? Just cheap autozone/speedshop ones, or $100 hubcentric billet ones? How thick are yours?