1997 K1500 Wont Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
East302 - G404 looks good. I get voltage when taking this reading. If i read both your last two posts correctly, if I get voltage as you mentioned above, you are thinking in the pump is the problem.

If you get voltage from B+ to 30, that means that the pump circuit is grounding correctly at G404.

Do you get voltage from...

1. B+ to 86? This checks relay panel ground.

2. Battery negative to 87 with ignition on? This checks the fuse feed.

3. Battery negative to 85 with ignition on? This checks the VCM feed.

Does the pump cut on (pressure goes up) when running a jumper for B+ to the test connector?

Edit: forgot something really basic-- does the check engine light come on with the ignition turned on? Is the security light staying on or blinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pump does not cut on and pressure does not go up when running a jumper from 30 to 87, which I believe is the same as B+ to the rest connector. I have been unable to get the pump to do anything

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the tests I did with my volt meter and test light matched both videos you posted. Only difference was I never got the pressure to increase or pump to turn on

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The test connector is not the same as jumping 30 to 87. It's a separate connector with a red wire outside of the relay box. See photo in previous post.

It looks like this connector bypasses the relay function. If the pump kicks on, I'd swap the relay out.

If it doesn't, then it looks like it's your pump.

Pulling the bed, from what I've heard, is the easier method.

Last edited:

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer pulling the bed. Much easier to disconnect everything with the bed out of the way.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I edited a previous post, not sure if you saw it or not. Question was if your check engine light comes on with ignition on.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just checked the test connector to B+, nothing. pump didn't turn on and fuel pressure remained at zero.

I didn't see the edit about the check engine light. check engine light does turn on with ignition on, and remains on while trying to turn it over/cranking. past info on check engine light: Check engine light turns on and off as it pleases. Its been spitting a P171 code if i remember correctly, like Fuel Trim Lean Bank 2 i believe. that has been present for the last 3 years/50,000 miles. it'll be off for a few thousand miles and comes back again here and there. usually tends to be on more during colder winter months.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The check engine light coming on with ignition on just means that the computer is doing its job. If it didn't come on, that would point to a VCM issue or something maybe other than a fuel pump.

Sorry, looks like a bad pump to me.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
gotcha, yea i think so too. I just walked back into auto zone to buy a fuel pump, but the lady refused to give me service because she said i stole from her earlier today... she was going all crazy. it was an unreal experience ha, definitely didn't steal anything, in fact i reminded her that she was the one that rang me up for the $50+ of stuff i bought from her. Looks like I'm ordering online, its cheaper anyways, but gotta wait for it to get here.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
gotcha, yea i think so too. I just walked back into auto zone to buy a fuel pump, but the lady refused to give me service because she said i stole from her earlier today... she was going all crazy. it was an unreal experience ha, definitely didn't steal anything, in fact i reminded her that she was the one that rang me up for the $50+ of stuff i bought from her. Looks like I'm ordering online, its cheaper anyways, but gotta wait for it to get here.

That's crazy, guess you looked like someone else.

You'd get a better quality part online. A Delco pump and sender would probably be the way to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers