1997 k1500 carbon fiber drive shaft question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy529

Reaction score
My drive shaft is aluminium with a carbon fibre wrap. The front 1/2 of the wrap came off in a flurry the other day.

I don't feel any vibration issues but was wondering how much strength I've lost without the wrap? Am I running on borrowed time? Do I need to immediately change it? Or can I put it off for awhile if I'm careful?

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might be out of the loop on this but I havnt ever heard or seen a gmt400 with legitimate carbon fiber on the drive shafts. on the multiple 96+ GMT400's I have had they were aluminum drive shafts. Did the previous owner just put a large vinyl graphic on it? I doubt it provides any strength to the shaft.

I could be totally wrong.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, mine has no wrap at all, and as far as I can tell, the truck is totally original except for battery and tires.

The aluminum driveshaft surprised me with how large a diameter it has when I first crawled under the beast.

Chevy529

Reaction score
Nope, it's original, maybe a Canadian truck thing. I thought it was fibreglass but was told it was carbon fibre. They don't make them anymore. A failed experiment I guess. Good thing as they were grossly priced.
1997 Sierra SLE 3 door Z71. I am original owner.
Edit:
Out of curiosity, what is the diameter of your aluminum shaft? Maybe this one is thinner walled.

Last edited:

Chevy529

Reaction score
Geez, I didn't mean for you to crawl under, a ball park would b fine

Edit: Ironhead
Just noticed u r from Vancouver so maybe it isn't a Canadian truck thing after all. Maybe it's a Z71 addition??

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My 88 had that wrap. I ****** up a rear U joint install and it threw the caps out and the shaft hit the ground. Rode home on a tow truck that day. State Farm was not impressed when I handed them the bill. Point being I destroyed the CF wrap on that shaft, so I peeled it all off. After unfucking the Ujoint, the truck was great. Not too sure what the point of it was.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. Not too late to put the aluminum one back on. Even with the aluminum shaft, my critical driveline speed was only a tick over 100. Has the steel one vibrated on you yet? Mine was a RCLB at the time.