1997 4L60E issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poser

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my dad's 1997 Chevy K1500 z71, the transmission is having problems. We just put this one in a few months back... maybe five months ago, give or take (it is a rebuilt trans). Anyways, My dad has been having problems with it lately. It shifts very aggressively into every gear, and forth gear just refuses to work. He drives the truck over 70 miles to get to work and back every day, so the whole "no overdrive" thing is getting to be terrible. The truck will sometimes act normally, and shift normally, but every once in a while, it just will not work right. I scanned it, and the only code I get is P0302 and that is for a misfire on cylinder 2.... don't think that's the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The truck is a 1997 z71 with about 170,000 on it and no modifications. It has been fairly well maintained it's whole life.

Thanks
Matt

Poser

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, he say's that the battery gauge is going up and down as he drives.... Could this be something to do with the TCC? Because that's electronic, isn't it? Could it be shorted out or something? I don't know alot about transmissions, so please try to bear with me on this haha

Poser

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm not trying to be a dick, I just want to learn, but why would a throttle position sensor make the transmission act weird?

Poser

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, ok, that makes sense.

My cousin is an auto tech and thinks the fluid passage to the 4th gear clutch pack is clogged and can't get enough lubrication to release and go into forth. Also, that would put more pressure on the other shift packs (or whatever they are called) and cause the hard shifts.
Do you think that could have anything to do with it either? With shifting hard and not going into forth? I'll check the TPS later and see on that, too.

Poser

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, fastorange, I like your truck..... and that's saying something, because normally I don't care for chrome/shiny silver anything haha but your's seems to pull it off with a good look.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Oh, ok, that makes sense.

My cousin is an auto tech and thinks the fluid passage to the 4th gear clutch pack is clogged and can't get enough lubrication to release and go into forth. Also, that would put more pressure on the other shift packs (or whatever they are called) and cause the hard shifts.
Do you think that could have anything to do with it either? With shifting hard and not going into forth? I'll check the TPS later and see on that, too.

TPS can cuase hard shifts, i had mine disconnected for abit during the summer, the 1-2 shift was literally neck snapping.