1996 Chev won't fire up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys so I just tried to go into town and my '96 chevy c1500 just won't fire up. I have battery power (maybe not enough?) but when I try to turn it over it goes for a second or two and than makes a strange sound, almost like a big misfire or something.

Oil looks good, engine coolant is good, truck was running good yesterday before I parked for the night.
Only thing I can say is lately it's been having trouble starting up almost takes like 2 or 3 seconds of it cranking to get going...

Where can I start?

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
does it click? could be the the starter.. hit the starter with a hammer, see if she goes.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It turns over fine, it just won't fire up completely. Im going to check the battery checked tomorrow to see if it finally **** the bed....It looks like it was bought in about 2010 by the sticker on top. I would imagine it is time for it to be trashed. I am hoping battery since as I said I have definitely noticed in the last week or so that the truck doesn't fire up as quick as it usually did, its sluggish for a few seconds before turning over completely.
But I have heard the starter can be destroyed if I ran the truck too many times with that barely there amperage to start it, so maybe I did wreck the starter. Will update tomorrow.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It honestly felt like something right under my ass was making the terrible groan when I tried to start it the 2 or 3 times today. But I've never had anything like this happen before so I'm pretty much lost.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
have you put a meter on the battery? standing voltage and voltage drop when you crank it?

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a meter, I'm taking the battery to a battery shop tomorrow to test it. What should my battery be reading to be able to juice the truck up ? 12.6 volts?

94silveraydo

Reaction score
The battery should read right around 12 volts with the truck off. 11.6 is fine if it's cold out, but you don't want much more than 12.5 either unless the alternator is turning.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seven years is ancient for a battery. I used to get five years out them when I liven in a more temperate climate but where I am now, with real seasons, I get about three. Make sure you checked the battery terminals and lugs for loose clamps or corrosion. Take a look at the hot leads to the starter and alt. Make sure nothing is loose or corroded.
The misfire thing is interesting. Are your plug wires snugged in nice and tight? No cracked damage to the insulation?

94silveraydo

Reaction score
If the battery turns out good or replacing it doesn't work, check the fuel pump relay(pull it, apply 12 volts across the activation side of it and check resistance of the load side), and fuel pump relays. If it rained recently, pull your distributor cap and check for moisture. If it's a bit damp in there douse it in WD-40 and let it air out a few minutes and put some RTV along the bottom of the cap to keep it from getting moisture in there again. While you're in there trying that check to make sure the distributor adjustment bolt didn't vibrate loose over time causing the truck to fall out of timing. WOW I just realized I have gone through a lot of mechanical problems on my K1500 in the last 3 years... damn I love that truck.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery has been showing signs of corrosion for awhile now, I just figured it was because my amp was hooked up and just on a shoddy connection. Lots of blue corrosion leaking from positive terminal before this happened