1996 4l60e 3rd gear slipping.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my trans started slipping yesterday. 3rd gear only, it seems like. I was coming over a mountain and my trans shifted from 2 to 3rd and then started revving/slipping until 3.5k rpms then seems to pull alittle if I hold it there. Seems like once it shifts to 3rd or OD it slips unless I can kick it down to 2nd then it sticks in 2nd gear until I come to a stop. Happened once yesterday and kind of went away.

Checked my trans fluid and it was on the bottom line of warm. So I added 1 quart, and it still slips.

Slipping also happened today and keeps doing it. 3rd/4th gear clutch pack probably gone? I have read some of the Sticky threads about the 4l60e and not sure if my issue is exactly listed there.

I know some of this is vague, so I will try to clarify further if needed. Thanks for any help in advance.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thinking about taking this opportunity to throw a Monster kit in. I am pretty sure that I have blown my 3-4 clutch pack now that I have done some research. Funny part is that this trans only has about 15k miles on it and I drive like a little *****. Didn't really get any warning that the trans was going bad either, just started yesterday and no 3-4 today. Never hauled anything more that some wood and hunting stuff, only goes off road to go hunting or fishing.

I guess a "rebuilt" doesn't mean its like a new transmission.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
I lost 3-4 in my old 93. It was my dd also. Luckily work wasn't but 10 minutes away. Manual shifted 1 an 2 till I sold the truck haha

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thinking heavily about selling this one as well, but I think I will just by a good DD and work on my GMT on my free time.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Thinking heavily about selling this one as well, but I think I will just by a good DD and work on my GMT on my free time.

Keep it lol. I regret selling mine. I love my nbs but I had to much time an $$ in my obs

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah looking at just doing the Monster Transmission upgrade and being done with it.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is some free advise... Don't do the monster! It's like hiring someone to go to the grocery store for you. Everything in the kit they buy, and put it in a box. You can buy the exact same parts from Transtar or Whatever it Takes and it would be about $300.00 cheaper. Most towns have a transmission supply place, hit them up. We had a guy come it before Christmas that paid $1200 for a Monster kit. He rebuilt it, put it in, and it made 10 miles. We ended up having to go back thru it for him and fix all the little things he had wrong. Which was another $900. The parts they sell are good, it's just the same parts you can go buy local. The converters are Dacco they sell, the billet servo's are Fairbanks, the shift kit is Transgo. Dealing with someone local gives you the opportunity to have someone you can ask questions to if you run into a problem. Every kit I sell has my cell phone number in it where people can call for advise, or if they need to I can put a drum together for them.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you don't recommend Monster Rebuilt Transmissions? By that I mean the ones that are ready to drop in(not the kit that you do yourself)? I have heard good and bad, but they offer a decent warranty when you buy the torque converter as well. I just want a stronger transmission that what I have now. I rarely carried anything in my bed other that the occasional wood, furniture, or deer. I think what killed my truck was the mountain that I drive over twice a day.

Im gonna definitely take a look at your links. I would like to do it cheaper but on the other hand I wanted to get something I could drop in also, because my bell housing has a huge crack in it and is missing an ear as well.

I have tore apart many auto transmissions but it has been 10 years since I have touched one. I really need to get my truck back on the road, thats really my main hold up from me doing it all myself. I have a wife in school and 2 kids in school, she relies heavily on my ability to pick up and drop off my children.

Last edited: