1995 454 TBI filter adapter - advice for major breakdown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So after a little camping trip Saturday before the Superbowl, we're all ready to head home, nurse our hangover and chill watching the game. On the way home, my filter adapter decided to drop all the oil in a matter of seconds.

I just posted about a gauge cluster upgrade, and for a second when I saw my oil pressure start dipping and moving all over the place I thought the gauge may have just been flipping out. Then, after a couple seconds of waiving back and forth, it drops to zero. Dead zero, then I hear the clicking - so I shut her down. It happened in less than a minute. Oil all down the road behind me.

Only an hour for the tow truck up in the hills was a miracle.

So, I think I saved the engine pulling it over so fast, but now I see that it's this adapter that blew. I can't even find a picture of the thing on the internet. I'm hoping it's a matter of getting a gasket kit. When I put oil in it and run it, its gushing out of this thing. I don't have the square head socket to pull it down, had to order that. It's just a bit smaller than a 1/2in socket.

Any advice? I'm heading to the dealership to get the exploded view of the parts and see if their fairly helpful parts guy recommends anything else since I'll be in there this weekend if the sockets show up.

This isn't exactly it, I think the picture below is a 350, the bolts look a little different. I've got two square female plugs, kind of like the 3rd member.
You must be registered for see images attach

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I took a 3/8 2'' extension to my grinder and used that to remove the two plugs.Under those are two bolts(IIRC 10mm)which hold the adapter on.Once it's off you'll find an O-ring.Mine was leaking so I replaced it.A friend went to Carquest(I think)and got a O-ring kit which had one the size I needed.

What it looks like with the adapter removed:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I lucked out. Definitely not as major as I initially had thought. Just a $3 rubber grommet nearly grenaded' the BBC - but it survived!!!. So, what was left of the old grommet either was plastic, or rubber that was plasticized from the heat and time. Seems to be good so far. It still has a little bit of the burned steel smell that isn't quite the same as oil, but it's getting better. I'm hoping that its from the initial moments running without oil.

Oil pressure is strong, and it seems like all is well at this point.

On to the fun stuff I want to do. Enough of this maintenance break/fix mess.

Last edited: