1994 sputtering no power 5.7 Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjd

Reaction score
1994 sputtering no power 5.7 Need advice

Allright I've been reading these forums for a couple months now and am totally lost. I have a 1994 ext cab Z71 4x4 with 5.7 automatic. The problem is it has a miss and sputters with no power when in gear. When you give it gas it just wants to stall and die out but you can feather the pedal and keep it running. The timing is set at 0 with the brown wire unpluged. So far these are the parts i've tried to fix this problem.
Delphi fuel pump and strainer Fuel pressure is 13#
New fuel lines
fuel filter
both injectors
brand new fuel regulator
Throttle position sensor
IAC Vavle
Egr
pvc valve
coolant temp sensor by thermostate with perfectly cleaned grounds
195 thermostate
ac delco spark plugs
autolite spark plug wires
msd ignition coil
Brand new distributer
knock sensor
Ecm
O2 sensor
Map sensor
New y pipe and cat
I bought this truck from a friend of mine who experianced the same problem so he replaced the map,cap & rotor

So after all this i still have the same problem so I pulled the motor out and found a really sloppy timing chain, New cam and lifters,bores were in excellent condition for 200,000 miles so i left them alone, cleaned up the heads, took the valves apart cleaned them and a quick polishing to the valve seats then put the heads back together with all new seals. New one piece rear main and put her back together. Took #1 plug out and put my finger in hole and brought the motor to compression stroke. Then manually turned the hb until the lined was lined up with the timing tab. Then put my dist in num 1 pos. Unhooked the brown wire and timed it to zero.

Now even after all this the truck still runs the same. Slight miss at idle and when you put it in gear and give it throttle it want to stall right out and fall flat on its face. give it more throttle and you can barely get it up to speed but definitely not drivable. from the cat back it has a 3" with fairly new muffler on it. I'm lost her guys I've replaced everything on this that I can and still have the same problem before I started working on this beast.

No ses codes as well.

I'm baffled because after timing is set to zero I plug in the brown wire and ecm advances the timing to 32 degrees. This I can't figure out.

Now all grounds have been wire brushed and cleaned as well as all bolts when reinstalled.

So after doing all this work I'm back to the same problem the truck had when he sold it to me, definitly regretting this purchase. i could of bought a good running Z71 for what I have into this.

I have not changed the prom yet!

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
My cousin has a 94 blazer with the same issue. If you are VERY easy on the throttle his runs like a champ, but if you crowd it at all, it cuts out and will actually lose speed on the highway. He has also done everything you have listed short of a fuel pump, but it was changed about a year ago. He has been battling this for over 9 months now. We are looking into finding a known good computer to put in it. These throttle body engines are usually pretty simple, but this one has both of us stumped. Bad computer is all i can come up with at this point. His also has hard starting issues from time to time. It sounds good if you rev it in neutral but as soon as its under load it cuts out and tries to die.

Last edited:

95z71performer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you try o2 sensors

I'm having the same issue with my 95 but it's only at idle and when cold when I get back from my vacation I'm going to put an o2 sensor in and if that don't fix it I'm getting a new computer

donjd

Reaction score
I just ordered a innova 31703 hoping to view the live data before I spend anymore money on this truck it seems to be nickle and diming me to death.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
sounds like an O2 problem to me as well. Also have you checked for vacuum leaks?

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Second the vacuum leaks.. and don't just check for them put a gauge on it! Put a mechanical gauge on both your fuel pressure and vacuum and drive it.. This will tell you a lot.
Also.. try unplugging your MAF and driving and if no difference then plug it back in and unplug your TPS. I know you have changed them but I JUST went trough this and my problem was TPS.. Don't short yourself for transmission problems as well.

95z71performer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that's my case I'm screwed for a while but the vacuum lines is another good place to look and if those don't help... I'm personally getting a 383 and 4l80e (Or whatever the 5 speed is) built and put in my truck

montess85

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did your new distibutor come with a brand new ICM? Have you looked into that? Normaly when they go bad you just get a no start with no spark, but they can cause loss of power. Or like some have said it could be a vacuum leak. Sounds like you have checked or tried dam near everything else.

Last edited:

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you done a compression test? Mine ran just like that and found I had zero compression on one cylinder.