1994 Silverado 5.7 liter high idle issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1bignordic

Reaction score
Greetings! My '94 Silverado is having cold engine high idle issues. There is no high idle! I've replaced all kinds of sensors, etc...I even brought it into a reputable mechanic, which I don't like doing, they said they fixed it. They didn't! They said it was a rusty ground issue. I'm at a loss. The truck runs great but when I start it cold there is no high idle, I have to keep my foot on the pedal until its warm enough to run on regular idle.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom to help out with this situation? I appreciate your help!!!

Sincerely,

1bignordic

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the coolant temperature sensor near the thermostat housing. It is a different one from the gauge. If it thinks the engine is warm it will be too lean on cold start. If someone can scan the actual values while it is running that would be better.

1bignordic

Reaction score
CTS and IAC have both been replaced. Still no change. Sorry for the delayed response, my computer died! At least the '94 is still running like a champ, just not idling!

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the throttle plates for carbon build up. Check vacuum connections.

1bignordic

Reaction score
Update! How many months later! I could not find the problem so just gave up, brought in to the shop, its was a faulty IAC. Problem solved, runs like a top.