1994 C1500 SWB Will not move in any gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exile

Reaction score
I just picked up a 94 C1500, been sitting for 8yrs, Runs Great, no knocks or engine noise. Had to replace the Tank and Fuel Pump. When I put it in R, D, or low, I get nothing, its like its in neutral. I do not think its the linkage since it goes into park. Any ideas on what I may want to look at first. Do not just want to toss parts at it until it works. But some good starting spots would be helpful.

I checked the Trans fluid and it looks good.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warm the engine up, pull the column down through all the gears and back up again, resting about 5 seconds in each gear, re-check the fluid level with the engine running and transmission in park.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
If it was the linkage the indicator wouldnt line up correctly... I had the sheath of the cable break but not the actual cable inside, on my burb. Right under the floor mat on drivers side. There was a hole in the mat, which let water down conveniently right on the cable before it goes through the floor. So I had "some" movement but not enough to get out of park. I dont think a broken cable is your problem though because you can tell its broken... the shifter basically falls with no resistance.

Yeah recheck fluid exactly like suggested above. Go from there.

Al

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 K1500 did exactly that, about a year ago. Drove to a gas station to fill a compressed-air tank for a friend. Started the engine, and had nothing but "Park" and neutrals.

Checked fluid level, seemed fine.

Shut truck off, started again...and had gears. Delivered the air tank, shut engine off, re-started to go home...nothin' but neutrals.

Got it going again, drove home with obvious transmission "issues".

Best I can tell, the disintigrating transmission plugged the filter. With the filter plugged, there was no fluid pressure to engage clutches and bands. Thus nothin' but neutrals.

Eventually the trans was opened-up; I had band material--including big pieces, see photo below--in the pan. The trans was overhauled: New 2-4 band, new planetary gearset, some accumulator springs.

Photo 1: Naked-steel 2--4 band
http://hbassociates.us/K1500_2020_TransCarnage_01.jpg
You must be registered for see images attach

Photo 2: Broken accumulator spring
http://hbassociates.us/K1500_2020_TransCarnage_02.jpg

Photo 3. Broken planetary gearset
http://hbassociates.us/K1500_2020_TransCarnage_03.jpg

Photo 4. Broken annulus for the planetary
http://hbassociates.us/K1500_2020_TransCarnage_04.jpg
Aww, crap. Photo got displaced to the bottom of the post.

By comparison, I've got a 2003 Trailblazer that spent a decade not going into Reverse in the winter, until the engine ran long enough to warm up the trans fluid. Spring, summer, fall--NO PROBLEM. Winter, throw it in reverse first thing in the morning, and nothing but neutral for thirty or forty seconds. Forward gears were fine.

Eventually, I dropped the pan, found no real dreck or chunks in the pan. Shoved in a new filter and fifteen quarts of fluid (flushed converter) and now it's fine. Works great. Vehicle (and trans) have 250,000 miles on 'em.

Point being, if you drop the pan and there's no carnage...slap a filter and new fluid in it and see what happens.

Last edited: