1993 gmc 5.7 Running off battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93.gmc.sierra

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a 1993 Gmc sierra 5.7 2wd that I have swapped over to carb a few years ago, everything worked fine until I removed the dash to replace it ( mine was all sun cracked) and all the ecu, wiring and the ip and all the wiring to that as well. I had planned to buy individual gauges and install those but have not done so yet.

Everything on the truck works like normal but I have one issue, while driving the truck it will drain the battery and die. Its like the alternator is not charging and the truck is just running on the battery alone. When I check the alt. it is pushing out voltage and if I charge the battery with my charger it will fire right back up and run fine until the battery dies again.

I am wondering if I might have taken something out like the voltage gauge that is needed to complete the circuit for the charging system?

All of the ecu and wiring was already un plugged so I do not believe it was any of those wires but I'm not 100% also tried putting my oem alternator back on to make sure my 300amp alt. did not go out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

racnredneck

Reaction score
when you removed the dash, the idiot charge light indicator was remove, and that is known as the ticker wire... which excites the alternator into charge mode, if not a solid connection with resistance will not ever charge. find the excite wire , wire in a bulb @ 194 bulb or equal resistance and will go back to charging, I prefer a light on dash that way I know if its working or not. all over the internet of you Google it.

93.gmc.sierra

Reaction score
when you removed the dash, the idiot charge light indicator was remove, and that is known as the ticker wire... which excites the alternator into charge mode, if not a solid connection with resistance will not ever charge. find the excite wire , wire in a bulb @ 194 bulb or equal resistance and will go back to charging, I prefer a light on dash that way I know if its working or not. all over the internet of you Google it.

Awesome, I had figured there had to be something online somewhere but I really did not know what to search for. thank you again and Merry Christmas