1993 C2500 Suburban 454 upper radiator hose routing / protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all -

I just bought the Suburban in my sig. The previous owner replaced the water pump, hoses, and radiator, but something on the upper hose has me concerned. The hose is very floppy and basically just rests on the body of the belt tensioner. This doesn't seem right. The upper shroud has a busted off piece that I THINK either was meant to be a resting point for the hose to prop it up a bit, and/or there's supposed to be something on the hose to protect it. The previous owner had a sharp edge from the broken off piece of the shroud eventually poke through the hose. I filed that point back a way so that I won't have the same issue, but I'm still concerned.

Of course, the 454 shrouds are now discontinued and no one seems to make anything aftermarket, so I'm searching for a used one. But before I go nuts trying to get one, can anyone confirm my theory that the missing piece of the shroud contained some sort of mechanism to hold/support the hose in some way? The only solid pic I can find so far is this one off a 454SS, as seen here:

http://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/chevyss4-e1448035881545-630x443.jpg

Supposedly, that's a shot of an unmolested engine bay with only 2K miles, but it looks to me like the hose is being held with a zip tie running through a hole drilled in the shroud (mine doesn't have a hole there). Is that factory?

Thanks!

Mike

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Slightly different setup but my '95 3500HD with the TBI 454 had a curved metal bracket screwed to the shroud, went under the radiator hose and held it up. It's been years since I let it go so I couldn't tell you if it looked truly factory or not but I think it was. I wonder if this is what was attached to your shroud where it's broken. Mine was kind of similar to what you see on the pic you linked on the lower horizontal part of the hose. Not exactly the same as my HD but the HD has a taller core support/shroud/etc. You can't see the bracket but in the only pic I have that shows anything, you can see where it's attached to the shroud:

You must be registered for see images attach

Anyway in that pic you linked, the plastic tie strap is factory. It's not a zip tie, but a made-to-length plastic strap with a peg in it that snaps into a hole on the shroud.

Richard

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
That small support tab was broken on mine also so I made my own as well..A thin piece of metal cut,shaped,riveted and painted did the trick.

You must be registered for see images attach

str8fan7

Reaction score
does anyone have the correct part number for this hose? The ones they are trying to give me route across the top of the alternator and it rubs on my 94. I need the hose that runs along the shroud like this one....