1990 5.7 new distributor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RATFOOD

Reaction score
Hi folks, I need a new distributor for the stock 1990 1500. My mechanic says the Chinese ones are all crap. I saw on another thread that the Delphi CZ20001 was highly recommended, however, everyone that sells it says it won't work for my application. They say it works on 92 and up models. Do you all think it would still work in my truck if I got one or is something physically different on it?

Thanks!

RATFOOD

Reaction score
I went ahead and bought a "Richporter" brand one, hopefully it lasts. $75 on Amazon... Couldn't see spending over $200 on a refurbished delco one...

RATFOOD

Reaction score
Lasted about a day and a half. Guess I'll try the MSD one next.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get a Delco. Don't waste your time with the MSD.

RATFOOD

Reaction score
You were right, I put the MSD in and wasn't getting a very faint spark and the engine wouldn't run. Put the old one back in and started right up. Guess i'll order a refurbished Delco. Wish they still made new ones.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
You were right, I put the MSD in and wasn't getting a very faint spark and the engine wouldn't run. Put the old one back in and started right up. Guess i'll order a refurbished Delco. Wish they still made new ones.

I ran a rich porter in my 90 for the last year and 20,000 miles without issue. Only removed it for the engine swap.

RATFOOD

Reaction score
Well, I got the refurbished delco one and put it in and the engine wouldn't start. Pulled the plug out and it's shooting a yellow spark when I crank it. I know its not off timing wise because I dropped the old one back in the same spot and the engine fired right up. Maybe i'm doing something wrong here. Maybe I can switch the ICM from my old one to the refurbished one to see if that changes anything. Somethings just not right....

RATFOOD

Reaction score
Just an update... Put a new ICM on the refurbished Delco. Motor fired right up. The ICM that came on the refurb was obviously not new. I'm kind of surprised they would have used an old one... Anyways, just hoping this one lasts a while!