1990 4x4 trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZackGuerette

Reaction score
I have a 1990 1500 with a 350 and what I'm pretty sure is a 700r4. When I got to engage it into 4x4 I have the move the lever from 2hi to 4hi and back multiple times as well as go threw the gears on the column multiple times for it to engage. And do the same thing to get it back into 2x4

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
How do you know?

Is it by watching the light display on the shifter?

If yes, it's likely your tla on the front axle. They go bad over time. If it's the original one from 1990 it's long overdue to fail. When they get old they are slow to engage or they often don't at all.

If it's just the front axle light you're watching not come on, that just indicates if your front axle is locked in. You're in 4Hi, you just don't have an engaged front axle...

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
What he said.

And if the thermal actuator is bad, swap to a newer electric one. Instant 4x4 :deal:

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Here's a pic, the outside ones are the regular ones and the one in the middle is a electric one.
You must be registered for see images attach

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you find that to be the problem you can swap for the electric, the junkyard is your friend here.

Edit: I see scottyinwv already mentioned that.