1990 350 TBI sputtering after acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright when I was 19, I sold my 1990 K1500 "Desert Fox" to my cousin. The length of 2 years of owning the desert fox, I had this problem where, when the truck was cold it ran fine actually pretty decently, but once it got maybe 100 temp enough for it to be above ambient temp. (I'm just guessing, not too sure when it happens) But once it has been running or isn't cold it starts, idles and when you floor it it has the power a 350 should, no stalling, no cutting, or sputtering. The problem occurs the second the accelerator is let off. The truck will sputter and want to die for about a second but catches itself and idles fine again. (hard to explain, hope this made somewhat of sense... :think:)

If I'm at low idle in drive with the brakes pressed its fine, but if I let go of the brakes and slightly hit the gas and let go, the truck will sputter and sometimes die. (Same in Reverse.)

Any ideas or suggestions to look at or anyone ever experience this same problem? I was told the egr valve, but don't want to shell out $100 on something that won't fix the problem... Thanks!

BTW: The reason I'm asking this about a truck I don't own is because I plan on buying it back, since my cousin is hurtin for money.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It almost sounds like it could be a vacuum leak. When cold, it runs richer, so the vacuum leak is masked. Once warmed, it leans out and the hesitiation is noticeable.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad took the egr valve off and cleaned it and said it looked good but can guarantee that its still good. I'll have to buy a pcv valve tomorrow. I guess I'll be checking my vacuum lines next time I look at it, see if they are all there and look good yet.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did you ever figure the problem out? I have a 94 305 tbi that has the same problem, when i slam on the pedal it sometimes sputters and dies and catches itself.