1989 suburban 350 TBI running RICH and timing off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all, my buddy just got a '89 Suburban a few days ago for a great deal but the truck isn't running right at all. Right now we checked the timing with the EST cable disconnected and it was at 0 BTDC but when plugged in the truck is at like 25!!! Which obviously isnt right at all. Something must be up with the computer possibly? OR is it something else?

The truck is running really rich right now and when warmed up it will die in gear. When you come to a stop and sit it will die and you'll have to restart it in order to get it to run again and it will do that alot after warmed up. The running rich could be the CTS but what about the timing being so far off? Computer? Bad DIS.?

I drove the truck and it just seems gutless like nothing there. Did do a power brake in it and it did it but i had to put my foot into the floor to do it and i own a '89 C1500 with a 350 TBI and just barely touching the gas it'll screech the tires so i know something is messed up with his Suburban.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
These trucks have electronic timing advance. Being that far off is perfectly normal. Like you mentioned, it could be the CTS going bad causing it to run rich.