1989 Axle seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tac Map Mike

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just picked up a 1989 gmc ck1500 reg cab 4x4. It needs the front axle seals replaced. I had a shop do a once over of the truck when I got it and was quoted $900 CAD for both seals and axle replacement.

Im fairly confident I can R&R both sides with some time. Is that cost what you would expect in terms of a quote? Do you usually change out the axle shaft too?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Thats pretty pricy for just axle seals. And why do the axle shafts need to be replaced? Thats not normal unless it shows signs of sliding into a curb or something.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just picked up a 1989 gmc ck1500 reg cab 4x4. It needs the front axle seals replaced. I had a shop do a once over of the truck when I got it and was quoted $900 CAD for both seals and axle replacement.

Im fairly confident I can R&R both sides with some time. Is that cost what you would expect in terms of a quote? Do you usually change out the axle shaft too?
Absolutely no need to replace the axle shaft. This isn't a Jeep. :)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of "Engines" and into "Axles + Brakes".

Define "axle seals" on the front.

Do you mean the DIFFERENTIAL seals, where the flanges plug into the differential case?

Or do you mean the seals in the steering knuckles that ride against the outer CV joints?
You must be registered for see images attach

If the CV joints are "sub-optimal", most folks would replace the entire CV shaft. It's getting hard to find boot-kits to regrease/re-boot the CV joints; and if the joints really are pounded, I don't think there's any replacement parts other than cramming in an entire replacement CV shaft.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not " ck " , if it's two wheel drive model is " C " , if it's four wheel drive it's " K " and yes it makes a difference.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I missed the "front" part when I posted my previous reply. Everything in the past two responses makes a big difference in what your looking for

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little off topic but is there some suspension/steering stuff I should do at the same time as the seals? Pretty sure the CV’s are sub optimal so I was going to do those, too
Based on this comment, OP has a K-series (4WD).

I don't think knuckle seals are as problematic as the differential housing (axle shaft) seals, which I believe is what he is referring to. Differential housing seals go bad, then you have gear oil leaking. Knuckle seals go bad...well, not a big deal. Can't think of any actual fluid that will leak if they go bad.

OP, assuming you're going to change the differential housing/axle shaft seals, just really depends on what's in your budget, how much time you have, what tools you have. If it was me, I'd at least change the needle bearings located right behind the seals. They are right there. But, for some, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But, as others mentioned, there are is a seal located on each knuckle. Since you will be removing the CV axles from the vehicle, you should replace those since they will be accessible and who knows the last time they were replaced? Go ahead and do a differential fluid/gear oil drain and refill unless it was recently done.

For CV axles, I don't think you can find any NOS (new old stock) GM CV axles anymore. We're relegated to using aftermarket. I bought Cardone. Unless something else becomes available when I finally install them, I'll have to stick with those. Prefer GM, but what can you do?

Tac Map Mike

Reaction score
Based on this comment, OP has a K-series (4WD).

I don't think knuckle seals are as problematic as the differential housing (axle shaft) seals, which I believe is what he is referring to. Differential housing seals go bad, then you have gear oil leaking. Knuckle seals go bad...well, not a big deal. Can't think of any actual fluid that will leak if they go bad.

OP, assuming you're going to change the differential housing/axle shaft seals, just really depends on what's in your budget, how much time you have, what tools you have. If it was me, I'd at least change the needle bearings located right behind the seals. They are right there. But, for some, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But, as others mentioned, there are is a seal located on each knuckle. Since you will be removing the CV axles from the vehicle, you should replace those since they will be accessible and who knows the last time they were replaced? Go ahead and do a differential fluid/gear oil drain and refill unless it was recently done.

For CV axles, I don't think you can find any NOS (new old stock) GM CV axles anymore. We're relegated to using aftermarket. I bought Cardone. Unless something else becomes available when I finally install them, I'll have to stick with those. Prefer GM, but what can you do?
I am talking about axle seals, correct!