1988 GMC C1500 - Z06 Package!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Pulled the headers out of the box, welded some Hedman ball and socket collectors on. Plan is to run a 3" dual exhaust with x-pipe.

First set of Schoenfeld headers I've had to massage a tube on. Pretty sure it's due to this truck being a first year and engine is more to the passenger side, stock.

I've noticed out of the hundreds of these trucks I've parted out, 88-89 seems to be further passenger offset on the engine, than a 90-98 truck. Almost to the tune of 3/8".

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You gonna weld those flanges on? Mine used to loosen up every few months until I burned the flanges right to the header.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Alright, took some time Friday evening after shutting the shop down for the day and disassembled the LS6 shortblock.

Fully expecting to find some catastrophic damage, that was proof of the reasoning for the engine being pulled for a "knock".

There was absolutely nothing wrong with this shortblock, it was 100% without a doubt, another set of Texas Speed "LS7" style lifters killing an engine. All of the bearings were super clean, rod, main, cam and the bores were indicative of a true 55,000 mile engine.

Delivered it to the machine shop Saturday morning, should be back sometime in May as a shortblock.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Forgot to mention... picked up this 89 rcsb v6/5speed truck yesterday for $600. Going to part it out, most likely.

Has a brand new rear axle with 3.73s and an aftermarket posi in it.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Decided to disassemble, clean, paint and reassemble the driveshaft, before getting started on welding an exhaust up.

Interesting fact, this truck shows 330k on the odometer, this driveshaft was still tight on the joints and had the oem plastic injection retainers in the yokes, still.