160K Mile 4L60E rough upshifts/downshifts...worth a fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know its not a GMT400, but it is a 4L60E. My Caprice has 157K on the engine and trans, and it has pretty rough upshifts/downshifts, especially the 1-2 up/downshift and 3-2 downshift. It doesn't slip or "slam" into gear, but it seems to "grab" the next or last gear fairly hard. The fluid has to be original, as that's something dad never would have bothered changing. It's a orangish/red color, no clutch material that I can see in it, although it looks like it's taken a beating from heat and such over the years. Is it worth a shot to change the fluid and then adopt an aggressive changing schedule for the next 5K or so to see if that helps, or is it just a worn out valve body and such at 160K?

I don't mind changing it, but I'd hate for that to be the straw that broke the camels back.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I would try the little (inexpensive) things before anything big. Just my opinion. Someone else will come along and give better advice hopefully.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I think changing it would be fine, but DO NOT go get it flushed out especially if its never been done by now.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Yeh maybe change the filter and fluid, no flush. I'd bet your clutches are worn. I'd just roll out till it goes then replace/rebuild it!