12v Cigarette Lighter Power After Ignition is Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, as the title implies, my truck still provides lighter power after I turn off the ignition.

First, is this normal?

Secondly, I'd like to find a way to stop this. It's troubling. I sometimes forget to turn off a random radar, phone charger, or inverter. My latest toy is a two-camera DVR dashcam - love that thing! It senses power and records and stops recording automatically. But, it won't do so because of this constant power issue.

Any ideas?

-Freddy

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
normal to my knowledge mine is on always too id be interest in make it go off too im tires unplugging crap at the end of the day.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is normal, as my Suburban is wired the same way. To change it, you could wire in a 30A relay on either the hot wire or ground of any or all of the outlets. Would require minor under dash wiring and you would need an ignition hot wire to activate the relay, but it would be simple enough.