10W30 year round?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive been running 10W30 year round in my Tahoe since I have had it, it gets cold in CT during the winter, would it be worth going to 5W30? Uses no oil between changes, has 255k on it

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
What does your owners manual say?

My 97 calls for 5w-30....use it year round

Not sure what a 95 calls for

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure don't have the owners manual figured it would be better for higher miles but cold start up in winter might be an issue

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Running 10w30 year round is okay. I run it year around in my 89 an it has 131, 500miles on the original engine. I'm in Washington state an I run it all year.

Being your engine has 255k on it I would suggest prolly just stick to 10w30 being your engine is higher up in miles an as engines get older the tolerances in the engine get bigger an "loose" to say an you should have a thicker oil running to keep your engines oil pressure up. For instance if on the gauge now when your on the highway the engine might be between 45 an 55lbs oil pressure but with 5w30 which all K motors built between 88-95 had from the factory it prolly will be reading lower pressure.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also I like to run half a quart of marvel mystery oil in all my changes to help keep the engine clean and for easier cold starts.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I run 10w30 in my 94 all year round. never had an issue. Only 118K on her, but it starts fine and no noises.

Like iha1992 stated, higher mileage motors have bearing wear and need the thicker oil.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tend to run what the oem says (5w-30) just because the engineers at GM probably have an idea what they're doing :shug:

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run either 5w40 or 10w40. The first digit is the oil's lower temperature threshold. The two digit number is the viscosity. At least that was the information I've been given. The thicker oil will stick to moving parts better and provide better lubrication.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run either 5w40 or 10w40. The first digit is the oil's lower temperature threshold. The two digit number is the viscosity. At least that was the information I've been given. The thicker oil will stick to moving parts better and provide better lubrication.

They're both viscosity numbers (Hence multi-weight oils). The engine has to work harder to pump heavy weight oil (Lower mpg's) and it also takes longer for oil to reach the top of the engine during a cold start.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They're both viscosity numbers (Hence multi-weight oils). The engine has to work harder to pump heavy weight oil (Lower mpg's) and it also takes longer for oil to reach the top of the engine during a cold start.

The practical differences between a 10w30 and a 5w30 oil used in one of our trucks are almost nonexistent. On a cold start at any temperature below about 70 degrees Fahrenheit, you are going to be on or nearly on the oil pump's pressure relief valve until the oil temperature rises above around 100 degrees or so no matter what oil you use, zero weights included. Oil quite simply does not flow well at those temperatures. That's why oils have additive packages in them with things like ZDDP and MoS2. These are boundary lubricants that come into play when the oil cannot successfully form or maintain a film and create the hydrodynamic wedge necessary to prevent metal to metal contact. These boundary lubricants work themselves into the metal itself and help prevent scuffing and galling until the oil can flow. The weight of the oil has nothing to do with its ability to protect the engine, in this case. It's the additives that are doing the protecting.

While we're on the subject of viscosity, we'll clear a couple of other things up. Thicker oil does not mean better oil. It just means... thicker... oil.
The reason that you see engines, like some diesels, call for a 15W40 or a 5W40 is the ability of the 40 weight oil to maintain the viscosity that the engine designer wants at the higher oil temperatures that are typically seen in modern, turbocharged diesel engines. It can do this because... it's thicker! Of course! The higher weight means a higher viscosity at higher temperatures! Not all oils are created equal, though. There is such a thing as a "thick" 30 weight and a "thin" 40 weight, and vice versa. Here's a chart to give you an idea:

You must be registered for see images attach

Oil viscosity can and does have an effect on fuel economy. Why? Pumping losses, plain and simple. It takes more energy to pump a thicker fluid than a thinner fluid, given the same temperature and flow rate. Should you be concerned about this? No. I would say that it falls near the end of the list of things to consider when choosing an oil for your truck. These are heavy vehicles with (relatively) big engines and the aerodynamics of a hay barn. The tiny percentage of loss or gain in fuel economy is not going to make a noticeable difference in your fuel bills, so unless you're trying to hypermile your brick, worry not.

As for myself, I have run the following: Castrol GTX 5W30, Castrol GTX 10W30, Mobil 1 0W40, Rotella T6 5W40, and Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40. My conclusion? The 40 weight oils give me slightly higher oil pressure at operating temperature. I currently have 8.5 gallons of the Delvac that I got for free sitting in my garage, so I'll be running it for the forseeable. I haven't noticed any difference in fuel economy. The last long trip that I logged my mileage on I averaged 18.5 MPG driving almost exclusively highway. On 40 weight.

To the OP: My '97 Suburban's owners manual states that while 5W30 is the preferred oil for our trucks, and I quote: " You can use 10W30 if it's going to be 0 degree Fahrenheit or above." You should be fine.