.030 over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silsbeeman

Reaction score
Need some help guys.94 Chevy truck with 4.3l v6. Has 153k + on it and it smokes. Did compression test and lowest reading I got was 40 from #3 cylinder. I'm looking to get motor punched out .030 over. That's it. No money right now for n e extras but o want to get this taken care of before it gets worse. Question, what all do I need to get this done. Already found shop to bore it out but what other details do i need to focus on to make this work. Any crank work, possible head work, etc? Soon as I have more money, ill go further into the rebuild. Just need to get this done so i can keep driving it.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
It would probably be cheaper to pull a junkyard 4.3L and drive it until it falls apart, then repeat vs going through the effort to completely rebuild one. You can easily find them for <$300.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Send it to a machine shop have it bored .30 over and then get pistons and rings to fit and you will be all et no crank or head work needed.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
It would probably be cheaper to pull a junkyard 4.3L and drive it until it falls apart, then repeat vs going through the effort to completely rebuild one. You can easily find them for <$300.

:word: bored out 4.3 is still a bored out 4.3L if you want more power then go to a v8, it'll be cheaper than the cost of your rebuild.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
:word: bored out 4.3 is still a bored out 4.3L if you want more power then go to a v8, it'll be cheaper than the cost of your rebuild.

:word:

Why rebuild some gutless little v6 when you can get more power from a used stock 5.7 and for cheap.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If you're set on punching +.030", then I'll tell you now that when you pull your heads you should go ahead and have your valves checked for inaccuracies, valves & seats ground(just a cleanup grind), new valve seals. Optional: Valve pockets ported, and runners done(if not ported, atleast polished, you can do that yourself with die grinder and sanding wheel)....THAT is my answer to your original question. As for my recommendation, I suggest upgrading to atleast a V8, size is up to you. Easy upgrade, as far as I know, you can just swap in a V8 chip(or the whole ECM?), motor mounts, and the tbi from whatever size engine you're using. I'm NOT saying it's all that has to be done, if someone could go into more detail, it'd be great.

Almost forgot, have you confirmed it's your cylinders that're worn and not bent/burnt valves, or blown gaskets, etc?