so my 88 tbi egr is shot.. what's it gonna do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok first off after a couple threads on here, my egr is bad, won't hold vac. and vac. won't pull the diapram/pintle up. I can pull up on it with the truck running and it won't affect idle at all, I pulled the egr off and it was kinda nasty, I cleaned it up and checked and when you pull the diaprham up the pintle moves and does so freely but it just don't hold vac. or kill the motor.

By hold vac. I mean you can't even get it to register on the hand pump, it goes up and right back down just as fasdt if not faster, same thing it does if you don't have the pump hooked to anything.

So I plugged the vac. line going to it, it never threw a code and probably has ben shot for almost a year(ever since I built the motor) it runs and drives as it should, maybe better since I found a couple vac. leaks and fixed them at the same time, but with it's vac. plugged it still doesn't throw a code.

I also found that the vac. solenoid bleed valve I had the bleeder plugged with a vac. line and plug, and still run fine and had been that way since I built it, but now I got a filter on it and the vac. line to the egr plugged, but haven't drove it. Srtill idles and revs fine.

I do get a lil pop or cough when cold and first start, and always have, might be egr? and I also had to advance the timing just to get it to run past 40 mph with the pedal on the floor, and it's been that way since I built it.

So would both of those be egr problems?

is it stuck shut or open? what's it gonna do to keep it this way?

I ordered an egr but it was wrong one, so I said screw it.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I had the egr bleed vac. solenoid blocked off before, it had vac. going to it, and the egr line coming out I blocked and the top bleed spot that's supposed to have a filter on it was blocked with a vac. cap as well.

The truck ran fine, but after I figured out it's to bleed it off I put a filter on it and left the rest alone, Well the truck runs worse now, rougher. The idle in gear hot used to have a lil bit of a miss that felt like somebody kicking the tire, and when I fixed 2 vac. leaks and had that bleed plugged it stopped, and now it does it more often and worse. The first start kinda cough or pops it had are maybe the same or worse not sure. I'm gonna block it off and again and try it and if it works good I'm gonna leave it alone, or set my timing back. I'm not at zero because when i built the motor and put it in it wouldn't run past 40 mph with your foot on the floor so I advanced it and it fixed that. Then I found 2 leaks on vac. lines and bad egr valve, and fixed the leaks but not the egr, just took it off and cleaned the bottom. Gonna put me a block off plate on it or something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ben1975