Aux fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Linacfse

Reaction score
I have a 98 K2500, I know they came with an available axillary fuel tank that used a pump to transfer fuel between tanks. Anyone see one of these setups or have any information on it? I am in the process on installing a second tank where the spare tire goes and trying to decide how I want to hook it up.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That option was only available on the cab and chassis models. If memory serves, the auxiliary tank was about 20 gallons or so. There was a transfer pump that pumped the fuel from the auxiliary tank into the main tank. I don't remember if it was some kind of automatic balancing thing or if you had to do it manually. The auxiliary tank never supplied fuel directly to the engine - it only transferred it to the primary tank. Let us know what you come up with. I'd love to add some additional fuel capacity.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 34 gallon tank is the biggest of all the vehicles I've owned.
I need an auxiliary wallet to keep that one filled!

Yes! The LONG beds got that huge tank. OP maybe has a 6.5' bed?

My GMT 800 2500 suburban has, what seems like an auxiliary fuel tank, but looks like there's an additional pump that pumps it into the main? I really don't know how it works. I think the capacity on that one is 38 gallons? Seems like that's what others are describing. There's no switch inside to switch between tanks like on the older trucks.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ECSBs got smaller tanks than the long boxes. Makes no sense when you have a 454 lol. I parted out a C&C that had the aux tank out back. There was no switches or anything inside, so like others stated it just pumped gas into the main tank.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
The 34 gallon tank was optional equipment on long box or extended cab trucks up until something like '92. After that, I know it was standard on at least the long box trucks. Our '88 C3500 had it and listed it as optional and my wife's '92 C1500 regular cab long box has the 34 tank as well.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder what fuel tank the crew cab duallies with 6.5' got? Maybe they have an auxiliary tank? They only made them a few years in the GMT400. Some guys here have them.

Otherwise all C/K3500s crew cabs had the 8' bed. The C/Ks 2500 crew cabs did come with the 6.5' or 8' bed. Which is probably why the models with the aux tank got them, there's no way to get a 34 gallon tank because they don't fit because of the shorter wheelbase?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '99 Suburban had the 44 gallon tank. When gas hit $4 a gallon here, my wife suddenly wanted to drive it everywhere. You filled it halfway, then had to swipe the credit card a second time to finish filling up. I finally convinced her to park it and drive her Honda.