90-1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got side tracked...
The fuel line has bothered me since I put the motor back in. Goes from the filter metal line, to a rubber section to a metal section to rubber to metal to rubber. Lol confused yet.. in short it's 100% jank.. oh and it was just dangling from the drivers side to the passenger side mechanical pump and hitting the steering linkage..

The old return line is just hacked off near the brake booster. The fuel tank vent is chopped off near where the old charcoal canister was. ( it was gone before I got the truck)

I found a gm fuel line adapter to -6 an
You must be registered for see images attach

I bought a length of -6 an ptfe braid line.

Yanked out the old supply and return lines.

Not super happy with the overall outcome. But it will be not only functional but safer..

Quick fix, hopefully better now.
That should help cool the fuel too.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That should help cool the fuel too.
I believe the factory fuel line used to run along the firewall? I don't know for sure honestly.
There was a bracket right after the filter that kicked the lines pretty close to the header collector. I had it zip tied out of the way as much as possible before. Now it runs tight to the rail all the way to the front.

All that to say you're absolutely right about it being cooler. Probably more so than you thought.

I have some heat sleeveing I may use in that area also just as a bit of overkill.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some heat sleeveing I may use in that area also just as a bit of overkill.
No such thing!
Too bad they chopped out all the original electric fuel pump lines. Could have ran a recirculating system with a bypass regulator and get away from that engine mounted mechanical pump that heats the fuel.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No such thing!
Too bad they chopped out all the original electric fuel pump lines. Could have ran a recirculating system with a bypass regulator and get away from that engine mounted mechanical pump that heats the fuel.
The entire Fuel system is temporary. This Fuel pump is barely enough anyway. I plan to relocate the fuel tank and swap this 383 to Fuel injection probably next year. I have no idea what system or Kit I'll use yet. I am just not a huge fan of the carburetor. I have just come to prefer the ease of the FI. It will also be easier for my wife to drive the truck without the finicky idle characteristics it currently has (she does fine now it would just be less hassle). Plus it gets hot here in Texas so I'd like to be able to run the AC with no compromise.

I have a High idle solenoid for the AC already, it works okay still not as seamless as I'd like.

I know you're not a fan of the Holley carbs. I'm just not sure I want to spend the money on a different brand carb to just make it 20% better.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire Fuel system is temporary. This Fuel pump is barely enough anyway. I plan to relocate the fuel tank and swap this 383 to Fuel injection probably next year. I have no idea what system or Kit I'll use yet. I am just not a huge fan of the carburetor. I have just come to prefer the ease of the FI. It will also be easier for my wife to drive the truck without the finicky idle characteristics it currently has (she does fine now it would just be less hassle). Plus it gets hot here in Texas so I'd like to be able to run the AC with no compromise.

I have a High idle solenoid for the AC already, it works okay still not as seamless as I'd like.

I know you're not a fan of the Holley carbs. I'm just not sure I want to spend the money on a different brand carb to just make it 20% better.
You handy with carbs? The only carb that should sit on top of any V8 engine is a Q-jet. Edelbrock repopped them for awhile but I don't think they're building them anymore. The mid to late 70's 1700 series Q-jets are good pieces to build. I try to find the truck or van carbs.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You handy with carbs? The only carb that should sit on top of any V8 engine is a Q-jet. Edelbrock repopped them for awhile but I don't think they're building them anymore. The mid to late 70's 1700 series Q-jets are good pieces to build. I try to find the truck or van carbs.
I know enough to be dangerous.
The previous owner has messed with it so much, the choke on it for instance was adjusted to the point that the choke flap only closed like 10 degrees. The jetting was also out of wack.

I know I need to set the choke fast idle to help with cold idle it's just a process and you only get one shot a day basically.

I'd just like to punch a few keys on a laptop and solve my problems