350 stroker build (ca smog legal?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdobirdman

Reaction score
I believe you when you state that people are passing. This tells me that currently
the inspection is doing the bare minimum cursory inspection (ie: just reading the
checksum that's being reported and accepting it as fact, instead of taking the additional
step of scanning the actual image, performing a checksum calculation against that,
and then comparing the actual checksum against the 'reported' one.

Going back to my analogy, it would be like walking up to my fake COPO Camaro, observing
the 427 badge, never opening my hood, and declaring my vehicle is legit. Now, according to
the official press release by the people in charge of all this (Cali BAR) they claim they are doing the
full monte with their testing. (BAR Press Release)

But what if they are just doing a cursory scan in the real world, yet reassuring us that they going the
full distance to both score points with the environmentalists on the one hand, and at the same time
use this as a scare tactic for the tuner community?

When it comes to a bureaucracy speaking out of both sides of it's mouth? This wouldn't the first
time something like this has occurred. And as evidenced by these folks passing, this may be the
correct explanation. At the computer level, with enough digging the truth can be uncovered.
With people...sometimes not so much.

No problem, sir. When I switched from fixing cars to computers for a living, I was a stranger in
a strange land. I was a concrete learner working in an abstract virtual environment. But by
using analogies I was eventually able to reason my way through all the secret sauce inside.

Let's use music for this. Pick your favorite song, and assign a unique numerical value for each and every
note in the song, from start to finish. Run all the resulting numbers through the checksum algorithm,
and out pops a value. Go back, edit the song, remove a single note, and rerun the new numbers
through the same algorithm, and you will absolutely get a different number. (See attached.)
(And here's the associated Wiki entry.)

I'll even go so far as to state that the GMT400 forum would not work reliably worldwide without the
use of checksums to validate each individual data packet at each point in it's journey, from New Zealand,
TX, or Sweden, to the server array...and back. And not if, but when stuff gets garbled, it's a failed
checksum that forces a request to retransmit that bad packet...all this going on many layers below
our daily activity. Cool stuff. Checksums are why our computers sound like FM (no static at all) vs the AM
radio with heavy thunderstorms nearby. And then you turn the fluorescents on...

And your final questions allow me to come full circle on all this.

Based on the evidence that all these people are passing tells me that the
bureaucrats are only looking for a specific calibration number and taking
it at face value? And as always, follow the money. The state wants to
perform as many vehicles tests are quickly as possible, following the
regulations with the least amount of time/money spent.

On the other hand, the Stellantis engineers were highly motivated
to A) figure out what went wrong with their baby, and B) prove that
the $36K expense to repair the Jailbreak special is not a result of
them doing bad job. (I know how I would act if I was directly involved
in this.)

To me, following the money when it comes to people helps to explain
a lot of what goes right *and* wrong with all things having to do
with computers and data.

Sincere apologies for the length, but it's nice to have others interested
in this stuff. Normally when I start talking about all this at a party people
start drifting away like I've got BO or something.
:)

Hope this helps. And I thank my lucky stars that I'm not relocating to Cali...

Cheers -
guys at smogstations in CA arent detectives, they plug it in and if they get a green check mark and the visual inspection looks correct they arent digging into it like CSI

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys at smogstations in CA arent detectives, they plug it in and if they get a green check mark and the visual inspection looks correct they arent digging into it like CSI

I must look like a s*cker in person then, for with my luck if I was in Cali they would be all in my chili, if you know what I mean. :0)

For example, some years ago back when gas hit $4.00/gallon for the very first time, I flew on a one-way flight to TX and bought a
well-worn 300K mile '01 Honda Insight for short money & nursed it back to VT. Had to clean out the EGR valve & associated passages
in order to get the Check Engine light extinguished, threw 3 fresh spark plugs at it, replaced all the bulbs on general pricipal, etc.
I just wanted to get the VT safety inspection knocked out on the first try & get on with my frugal groove.

Sure enough, I get the call at work that my newly acquired nerd ship had failed the inspection? Why? Well, the driver's side electric
window didn't roll down, and the shop owner said that this was a *safety failure*. He informed me that per VT statute the driver's window
had to function. So I got the failure sticker and 15 days to fix it. Even so, at the same time I *was* aware of the window not rolling
down, and just figured I'd deal with that minor nuisance once warmer weather arrived. SMH. But I needed a good safety sticker, or
I couldn't drive on base. WTF, over?

Turned out that deep under the dash some PO had an aftermarket security system installed, and unbeknownst to yours truly it had
been abandoned in place. Turns out the cheesy vampire connectors the long ago alarm clown employed had eventually broken the
power feed to the driver's door, so getting the electric window operational was a trivial matter. And I got the car back down to the
small garage that I had been told was a reasonable place to do business...and I got the magic sticker. And I could drive on base.

But that's the kind of luck I typically have with inspection stations. But after that difficult start I was able
to get that car over the 1/3 of a million mile mark before it became time to retire the machine. And since it
was an all-aluminum car, I sawzalled it into pieces that would fit into the Civic hatchback that replaced it...and I
ended up getting almost $400 for the pieces at the metal recycling yard. (And another $75 for the tiny factory cat.)

It was one of those cars that gave me a lot more than I gave it. And I got to learn all about the onboard
144V hybrid setup. True story. Can't make this stuff up. :0)

Attachments

• Bugs Bunny as sucker.jpg
    Bugs Bunny as sucker.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 8
  • '01 Insight 333333 milesjpg.jpg
    '01 Insight 333333 milesjpg.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

rdobirdman

Reaction score
I must look like a s*cker in person then, for with my luck if I was in Cali they would be all in my chili, if you know what I mean. :0)

For example, some years ago back when the very first time gas hit $4.00/gallon, I flew on a one-way flight to TX and bought a
well-worn 300K mile '01 Honda Insight for short money & nursed it back to VT. Had to clean out the EGR valve in order to get
the Check Engine light extinguished, threw 3 fresh spark plugs at it, replaced all the bulbs on general pricipal, etc. I just wanted to
get the VT safety inspection knocked out on the first try & get on with my frugal groove.

Sure enough, I get the call at work that my newly acquired nerd ship had failed the inspection? Why? Well, the driver's side electric
window didn't roll down, and the shop owner said that this was a *safety failure*. He informed me that per VT statute the driver's window
had to function. So I got the failure sticker and 15 days to fix it. Even so, at the same time I *was* aware of the window not rolling
down, and just figured I'd deal with that minor nuisance once warmer weather arrived. SMH. But I needed a good safety sticker, or
I couldn't drive on base. WTF, over?

Turned out that deep under the dash some PO had an aftermarket security system installed, and unbeknownst to yours truly it had
been abandoned in place. Turns out the cheesy vampire connectors the long ago alarm clown employed had eventually broken the
power feed to the driver's door, so getting the electric window operational was a trivial matter. And I got the car back down to the
small garage that I had been told was a reasonable place to do business...and I got the magic sticker. And I could drive on base.

But that's the kind of luck I typically have with inspection stations. But after that difficult start I was able
to get that car over the 1/3 of a million mile mark before it became time to retire the machine. And since it
was an all-aluminum car, I sawzalled it into pieces that would fit into the Civic hatchback that replaced it...and I
ended up getting almost $400 at the metal recycling yard. (And another $75 for the tiny factory cat.)

It was one of those cars that gave me a lot more than I gave it. And I got to learn all about the onboard
144V hybrid setup. True story. Can't make this stuff up. :0)
We don't have inspections in CA aside from smog. If you were trying to title an out of state vehicle it might be difficult but only because of smog equipment

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't have inspections in CA aside from smog.

That's a twist. Maybe because I'm deep in the heart of the rust belt, I've always been subjected to an annual safety inspection here in NY/NE.

If you were trying to title an out of state vehicle it might be difficult but only because of smog equipment

Ouch. Thankfully I'm headed to NH, and my 25 year old truck easily clears the 20 year old hurdle for
no longer being tested for emissions. (Even though there's no SES light & it would easily pass.)

Looking forward to living where there's a little more personal freedom. I can deal with that.
:)