1997 C1500 5.7 Exhuast manifold 3 bolt flange help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
One day, on the way to work i was driving and all of the sudden i heard an aweful ticking sound. Didnt think it was coming from my truck but other vehicles by me.. well i was wrong it was ME. Eventually i figured out i have an exhuast leak and not a lifter/rod sound.. this otherwise quiet 1997 C1500 5.7 became a earsore for my liking. I replaced the passanger side (right side) Exhuast manifold and succesfully torqued it back to the heads. I had to cut the pipe just behind the tranny pan and pulled it all out as one piece. Well it was one piece, the flange with the 3 studs and bolts was beyond gone. Seperated em n out popped the donut.
Well i am now faced without a way of getting a split 3 bolt flange to properly seal these together. Split flanges is all i could find at 3 different stores. Its as if the flange is too big in diameter or the flared 02 pipe lost some of its diameter.
Basically the 02 pipe falls down through the flange after tightened. Any hints or advice id be greatful. This is my 1st post. Ill post some pics here soon.

Reaction score
Do i have it too tight ? Because i see the gasket still. Good question would be is if that flared part of the 02 pipe sits on the bottom of the manifold or if a space is there where the donut is? I just want to do it right and have my 97 quiet again.

Last edited:

Reaction score
UPDATE:
i got back under there and loosed the nuts. I tried to seat the pipe all the way up until it was tight and retightened the nuts so that it was tight but not too tight that the flange pulled up past the bell part of the pipe. Started it and it is quiet. Not perfect yet though.. i can still hear a very tiny tick tick tick.

I think a better flange (smaller) would solve this issue completley. Im using a Nickson 3 hole split flange with 15mm nuts. If it wasnt for the 02 fitting id try to get a OE flange from a yard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I think a better flange (smaller) would solve this issue completley. Im using a Nickson 3 hole split flange with 15mm nuts. If it wasnt for the 02 fitting id try to get a OE flange from a yard
Yeah,that flange is too big. It should sit behind the flare to push it up against the donut. The flange you have on there now is catching a free ride.