1990 c1500 Engine Upgrade Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGM350

Reaction score
good morning I would like to say thank you to everyone who is very helpful on these forums and I had a question I have a 1990 C 1500 Which I am trying to free up a little horsepower, knowing how restrictive the stock heads and headers are I’m not going for a crazy build something mild would these work out alright and what what i still need to have everything working right?
Heads-96-02 Chevy 350 5.7L V8 SBC 062/906 Vortec Cylinder Head
Cam-https://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/CL12-602-4/10002/-1?gad_source=1
Springs-https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-26906-16?seid=srese1#overview
exhaust-https://www.holley.com/products/exh...p5FzlFTNeZ-QR79-oQ-eP9OMxiInNcvRyI7o3aUEd7AfQ
intake-https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7501?seid=srese1
High flow cat-https://privatelabelmfg.com/product...k-a98KunqCLYBQTCf8cJ_9kqrTiTGuz085y3RSw2iwlxs
THIS IS ALL I HAVE SO FAR. I dont know what rockers to use and ill go msd down the line but anything would be helpful thanks.

RShrimp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same goal in mind but would like to keep the TBI and stock Ignition system. Just my uneducated opinion, but that cam seems pretty aggressive at 2500-6000RPM. Personally I would be looking at an "RV/Towing" Cam but you do you!
I like you header choice. I also have a 1990 C1500 and would like an update after install on how those fit.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vortec heads are the best head Chevy ever made, but they have issues. You can get better aftermarket heads for about the same price as new Vortec castings. Used Vortec casting are almost always cracked.

That cam has a pretty significant duration, and the valvesprings appear a bit on the stiff side to me. Call up your favorite cam company and have them recommend a cam and springs. They'll quiz you about the vehicle and application and get you a better cam.

If you're wanting to make power, skip shorty headers and go straight to long tube headers.

The intake is not compatible with Vortec heads.

JGM350

Reaction score
I have the same goal in mind but would like to keep the TBI and stock Ignition system. Just my uneducated opinion, but that cam seems pretty aggressive at 2500-6000RPM. Personally I would be looking at an "RV/Towing" Cam but you do you!
I like you header choice. I also have a 1990 C1500 and would like an update after install on how those fit

JGM350

Reaction score
nice thank you man and ill consider looking into those cams are there any performance gain at all ?

JGM350

Reaction score
Vortec heads are the best head Chevy ever made, but they have issues. You can get better aftermarket heads for about the same price as new Vortec castings. Used Vortec casting are almost always cracked.

That cam has a pretty significant duration, and the valvesprings appear a bit on the stiff side to me. Call up your favorite cam company and have them recommend a cam and springs. They'll quiz you about the vehicle and application and get you a better cam.

If you're wanting to make power, skip shorty headers and go straight to long tube headers.

The intake is not compatible with Vortec heads.
thanks so much for your input. i was considering going with some jeg vortec heads that are new but i was unsure ill think about the head and intake combo later is there anything by chance wrong with the cam that would get in the way with the stock engine i have ?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cam will fit just fine, but it's gonna be a dog in a truck. With the 243/257 duration and the 107 LSA it's geared for rpm, not torque.

For comparison, I called Lunati and they spec'd a cam with 211/219 duration, .507/.515 lift, and a 112 LSA. I towed a 3000 lb car on a 2000 lb trailer yesterday and the engine had no problem keeping speed on steep hills.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the bottom end? Putting go fast goodies on top of a high mileage bottom end is a recipe for disaster.
If this is going to be a daily driver choose a cam that makes more torque in the 1200-5500 range. A marine cam makes a nice torquey motor for street use.
Have you thought about porting your heads yourself then farming the valve job out?

JGM350

Reaction score
i bought the truck from my friend ik him and his dad paid a shop $4500 for a fresh rebuild the truck turns over perfectly and is healthy but thanks so much ill try and look into a cam with a lower duration then bu chance is there any cam you can point me in i tried looking for the cam you said but all i can find is this Lunati #LUN-20510710LK

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running the Lunati 20080720. You'll probably have to call them directly to get one.

But I'm just some internet rando. If you don't understand cam specs, don't trust any of us fools. Call your favorite cam company and talk with them!

There's a lot more to buying a cam than picking one off Summit's website. What's your compression ratio? What heads are you running? How good is your exhaust? What fuel system are you running? How heavy is the vehicle? Where does your converter stall?