Ticking tapping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moe21purplez

Reaction score
My 350 TBI started making a tick and tapping sound, before I took the valve covers off and started messing with that, I wanted to see if there is anything else I can check or do
Thanks

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 350 TBI started making a tick and tapping sound, before I took the valve covers off and started messing with that, I wanted to see if there is anything else I can check or do
Thanks
Do you have headers?
I just tracked my tick down, was a bunch of loose header bolts, and the collector bolts needed a snug as well, no more tick.
Do you have access to a mechanic stethoscope? Or some substitute?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
More details please...

What exactly were you 'messing with' in the valve covers? Unless you found one rocker that was loose, there's nothing to fix/adjust on hydraulic lifters. And if you found a loose one, there are more problems coming very soon.

And how loud is the ticking? Con you hear it from the drivers seat while driving or only when the hood is popped? The injectors can make a decent amount of noise when the hood is open if they are older.

Otherwise, like the Wobbly Canadian said, exhaust is a good next check. Blown collector gasket or manifold gaskets are common.

How long have you had the truck? What maintenance items have been done recently?

Moe21purplez

Reaction score
Do you have headers?
I just tracked my tick down, was a bunch of loose header bolts, and the collector bolts needed a snug as well, no more tick.
Do you have access to a mechanic stethoscope? Or some substitute?
I just have the original exhaust manifolds on it

Moe21purplez

Reaction score
More details please...

What exactly were you 'messing with' in the valve covers? Unless you found one rocker that was loose, there's nothing to fix/adjust on hydraulic lifters. And if you found a loose one, there are more problems coming very soon.

And how loud is the ticking? Con you hear it from the drivers seat while driving or only when the hood is popped? The injectors can make a decent amount of noise when the hood is open if they are older.

Otherwise, like the Wobbly Canadian said, exhaust is a good next check. Blown collector gasket or manifold gaskets are common.

How long have you had the truck? What maintenance items have been done recently?
I meant replaceing rockers and the at sort of thing, it is very loud when driving especially when accelerating. I’ve had it for 2 years and just do normal maintenance like oil changes and what not

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant replaceing rockers and the at sort of thing, it is very loud when driving especially when accelerating.
Lifters don't get noisier when the vehicle accelerates, unless the oil level is so low that the pump is sucking air.

If the noise increases when the throttle is opened...it's almost certainly exhaust leakage.

If you have stock exhaust manifolds, they're very likely cracked or have rotted gaskets including the "donut" gaskets.

The shorty headers on my 5.7L had the donuts destroyed by rusted flanges.
You must be registered for see images attach