a/c diagnostic / repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T1najero

Reaction score
i have a 1996 chevy 1500 5.7. im trying to get my a/c fixed up and i don't know where to start , i don't wanna just throw parts at it.iim going to bring up everything i know about it so far so bare with me if i sound like an idiot im just trying to learn.

#1 when I crank up the ac it doesn't blow at all besides the fans facing the floor pan.

#2 the terminals are missing in the fuse box inside the cab

#3 when i was getting my radio installed by a family member pointed out a wire that was to the ac disconnected #3 when I bought the truck the po mentioned a wire under the hood needing to be grounded for it to work.

#4 I've had a leak from the passenger side from when it rains that soaked up my carpet, I recently took it all out and reveled rust down there. when it last rained it looked like it was dripping from my blower motor.

i don't use my ac or heat. when i did use heat in the winter it heats up slowly. can anyone help me out how to figure out these problems, its hot as hell in Texas and its just going to get worse as summer is approaching, I'm moving to Florida by the end of the year. AND it doesn't help that the drivers side window stopped working.

Attachments

• IMG_1992.jpeg
    IMG_1992.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1991.jpeg
    IMG_1991.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 7

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What terminals are missing, #12 has fuse ( htr AC )
#1, try to be more clear, turn on AC , not cold or fan does not work? Or just fan doesn't work at all?
#3 what wire , there's more than one. Photo needed.
Drivers window, have down any diagnosis,broken wire, switch, motor toast?
Slow heat, is engine up to temp? Air mixture flap valve out of range. Junk or rust, sedimate occluding heat exchanger preventing heat.

T1najero

Reaction score
What terminals are missing, #12 has fuse ( htr AC )
#1, try to be more clear, turn on AC , not cold or fan does not work? Or just fan doesn't work at all?
#3 what wire , there's more than one. Photo needed.
Drivers window, have down any diagnosis,broken wire, switch, motor toast?
Slow heat, is engine up to temp? Air mixture flap valve out of range. Junk or rust, sedimate occluding heat exchanger preventing heat.
my mistake i origionally thought RR HVAC fuse had something to do with it but i was informed i dont have the terminal because its a pickup.
#2 not cold and doesnt blow at all.
#3 not sure what wire the po was talking about he just mentioned it.
#4 its not the switch, when using it clicks like it wants to.i believe the window motor might be bad, ill probably just purchase a new window regulator assembly to get it over with.
#5 when using the heat its slow heating but it works i have no use for the heat cause its hot in texas.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Regarding your blower leak, there’s a windshield cowl vent screw that is directly above the blower intake. Pull the blower, use a mirror to look up the air intake and you’ll see it sticking through. Seal that screw and it’ll stop the water from coming into your blower. Whether you have another leak is another question, but this is the usual culprit.

See post #32 in this thread…