1” front drop spring OBS extended cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 1995 C1500 extended cab shortbed, 2WD with a V6. The truck came with a lowering shackle already installed at the 1” hole, and sits level to me. I would like to drop the rear to the 2” hole, and lower the front 1”, but there doesn’t seem to be much available. Belltech offers a 1” spring for the V8 extended cab, but said that it’s not compatible with the V6 due to spring rate. I asked if the standard cab V8 spring would be close enough to work in an extended cab V6, and they said no. I don’t see why this wouldn’t work, but also just considering trimming half a coil off the stock spring and saving myself the headache with aftermarket springs that probably won’t work. What’s everyone’s opinion?

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s what I figured, lol. Is removing 1/2 coil still equal to 1” on these trucks?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cutting the coil increases to spring rate and leads to a much harsher ride. Pair that with OE length shocks compressed into their control zone.
Don't cut your coils, use lowering steering knuckles. Your kidneys and your colon will thank you.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cutting the coil increases to spring rate and leads to a much harsher ride. Pair that with OE length shocks compressed into their control zone.
Don't cut your coils, use lowering steering knuckles. Your kidneys and your colon will thank you.
I don't think anyone makes a 1" drop spindle the OP is looking for.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

TBH, I prefer the higher spring rates anyway, for two reasons. I think the factory rates were too soft. I hate the overly floaty ride, I’m not driving a ‘59 Cadillac. Two, the higher rates are a compliment to a shorter spring, as you’re starting off closer to the ground and have less compression distance before the suspension is bottomed out, so a stiffer rate helps resist bottoming out a bit more. The single full coil cut works great on Squarebodies in my experience!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it doesn't if you don't do more than 1 coil. Lots of people trim the springs with no issues.

Heating it is what really alters it an makes the ride bad.

Also 1" drop springs will generally raise the truck up when replacing 20+ y/o factory springs.