Z71 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Abbert55

Reaction score
I have a 1994 GMC K1500 Z71. It is my understanding that all Z71 trucks have a locking diff in the rear end. The RPO code sticker in the glove box confirms the Z71 package, but there is no G80 code. Only the axle ratio code. In testing, I found the rear end acted like an open diff. I fully expected to find an exploded Gov bomb inside the housing. This morning, I pulled the rear cover to find an open diff. This is OK as I'm going to install a lunchbox locker. Am I misinformed as to the standard equipment on the Z71?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Confused in AZ

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The more of these types of posts come up the more I'm inclined to think the Z71 package was little more then some decals and set of Bilstein's. That being said, most Z71's I've come across did have the larger 265's and 3.73's along with the g80.

Trucks could be custom ordered by the dealer as well so while Z71 was spec'd the g80 box on the build sheet never getting checked could be a possibility. They could put that truck on the lot a few dollars cheaper then a competitive dealer.

Last edited:

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it makes you feel any better, my 97 is a Z71 with the G80 rear end and also acts like an open diff lol at least on ice it does

consider yourself lucky because you can just slap a lunchbox locker in there and call it good. I have to do a carrier replacement to do that

Nickpisp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more of these types of posts come up the more I'm inclined to think the Z71 package was little more then some decals and set of Bilstein's. That being said, most Z71's I've come across did have the larger 265's and 3.73's along with the g80.

Trucks could be custom ordered by the dealer as well so while Z71 was spec'd the g80 box never getting checked could be a possibility. They could put that truck on the lot a few dollars cheaper then a competitive dealer.

Stickers, decals and skid plates.

Abbert55

Reaction score

Trucks could be custom ordered by the dealer as well so while Z71 was spec'd the g80 box never getting checked could be a possibility. They could put that truck on the lot a few dollars cheaper then a competitive dealer.

Well, that explains a lot of questions I've had. Thanks for the info! Just ordered the Monkey Grip (same as powertrax, just cheaper)

Abbert55

Reaction score
if it makes you feel any better, my 97 is a Z71 with the G80 rear end and also acts like an open diff lol at least on ice it does

consider yourself lucky because you can just slap a lunchbox locker in there and call it good. I have to do a carrier replacement to do that

I was sure that's what I'd find. Sorry for your luck. Thanks for the reply!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, not all Z71s got the G80.

My 99 Silverado ECSB 4.3 2wd has the G80. The other day I had to do an emergency maneuver and got stuck on a road embankment. I was like WTH! Got out and the frame had bottomed out. Luckily no mud. I went back inside and started working back and forward until I gained momentum and got out. I could tell the G80 was kicking in back there...saved my but from calling a tow truck.

Actually, I have (2) 2wd trucks and (2) 4x4s, and all of them have the G80. All 4 were sort of the "higher" trim optioned trucks, so I don't know if that had to do with anything...? Probably just coincidence.