you think it can handle it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8500 lbs + 2500 lbs of trailer behind a late 80's designed 1/2 ton?

Yea, maybe up and down the road, but I certainly wouldn't be taking it on a 24 hour excursion across multiple states. That's alot of weight and I remember how bad the factory brakes were on my 1/2t Chevy even if your trailer has 4 of the 12" drums.

What's the trailer rating, 7k?

jdoggystyle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the trailer is rated at 10k pounds and its designed so that almost no weight is on the hitch or truck. and its not really that big of a tractor im taller than it is. its maybe 12 feet long and 5 feet high. im just not sure wich model kubota it is.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the trailer is rated at 10k pounds and its designed so that almost no weight is on the hitch or truck. and its not really that big of a tractor im taller than it is. its maybe 12 feet long and 5 feet high. im just not sure wich model kubota it is.

I meant of the truck, how much is it rated to pull?

As to the reply, it's a trailer which means you're ball hitch is pulling 10-12% of the weight min or you're allover the road. I'm not worried about the tongue weight though, 1100lbs in the bed isn't asking much.

The issue is entirely with how much weight you're pulling, or more aptly stopping. I'm sure the truck will get the load moving and keep it moving at decent speed. The issue is entirely with stopping it.

At the end of the day, you're going to do whatever you want to. If you're egregiously in the wrong, hopefully someone who knows better, be it a LEO or just a friend, will stop you before you hurt someone/yourself. Or if you're not that far off, it will work out.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
I meant of the truck, how much is it rated to pull?

As to the reply, it's a trailer which means you're ball hitch is pulling 10-12% of the weight min or you're allover the road. I'm not worried about the tongue weight though, 1100lbs in the bed isn't asking much.

The issue is entirely with how much weight you're pulling, or more aptly stopping. I'm sure the truck will get the load moving and keep it moving at decent speed. The issue is entirely with stopping it.

At the end of the day, you're going to do whatever you want to. If you're egregiously in the wrong, hopefully someone who knows better, be it a LEO or just a friend, will stop you before you hurt someone/yourself. Or if you're not that far off, it will work out.

:lol: he musta went to that college place usin them big ol words and such

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
hell I even had to search that word........but going by the sentence, kinda figured what it meant. Anyways, I personally wouldn't do it without a complete and thorough go-thru of the entire truck and replace anything that seemed to have wear or slack. I was pulling a 22ft triple axle from fort smith,AR to lebanon,TN loaded with furniture from a 6br home....it takes a toll on any transmission, even my beefed up 4l80e-HD("HD" towing kit)....used the automated downshift(works like a jake brake)on all downhill sections and boy, that was a trek, got a little nervous through a few sections too, mostly caused by other drivers though. I made it alrite, and made it home almost, lost my passenger front wheel bearings 50ft from my driveway along with my brakes(fluid boiled out of caliper). So here's my recommendation, don't overly use your brakes and make sure you have a damn good front end alignment.....dont want ya losing your brakes due to overheated brakes.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
1/2 ton with 3:73 gear is just asking for it to break with that kind of weight, my buddies 98 k3500 with the 5.7/4L80e and 4:10 would even struggle moving that as his camper is only about 7k and it sure grunts with that.

according to the manual, that truck is rated for 7k towing cap in the 4wd 1/2 ton 5.7 with 3:73, that is what ratings the patrol will be using for determining if you are pulling overweight, some states they get you for pulling a trailer that size without a dot# on the truck as well even if it is personal use, some times you can get away with it by having "not for hire" on the truck and trailer.

Last edited: