Yoke- To Grease or Not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question is whether to grease inside of yoke splines or not. There was NO grease when it came out and I’m the only one whose ever removed driveshaft. Owner of driveshaft balance shop says they aren’t supposed to be greased. But I’ve read a shjt load of threads where people are putting grease on to get rid of “driveline clunk”, which I get occasionally.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I’ve read where some do but then there’s this:

TO: Chevrolet/GMC Dealers
ATTN: Service Manager and Parts Manager

A new grease, part # 19257121 (in Canada, 19257122), was recently released for lubrication of slip yoke splines to repair a condition of a bump feel or clunk noise at stop or from launch on the vehicles equipped with 4L60 Automatic Transmission (RPO M30) and 2WD. Please see Bulletin # 09-04-17-002C for details.

Do not use the new grease for lubrication of slip yoke splines on 4WD vehicles. The output shaft in a 4WD transfer case does not have a grease retainer to keep the grease from migrating into the transfer case and mixing with the fluid inside. The new grease is not compatible with the Automatic Transmission fluid used in the transfer case and can cause damage if mixed. Lubricate the splines on 4WD vehicles with Automatic Transmission Fluid, P/N 88861003 (in Canada, 88861004). Please refer to Bulletin # 09-04-21-003B for repairing the bump feel or clunk noise condition on 4WD vehicles.
Hmmm…mine is 4WD.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought greasing the yoke was only supposed to be a diagnostic/temporary fix for the "driveline clunk." IIRC the real permanent fix was installing a nickel plated GM yoke.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/heres-your-fix-for-the-tahoe-yukon-driveline-clunk.30421/
Yes, that^^^. But I’ve also read that updated yoke also wasn’t long term either. Owner of Driveshaft Shop said he’s never seen a real benefit from them. Anyway, he was adamant about NOT greasing yoke, plus that TSB is saying not to for 4WD, so I’m just going to wipe ATF on yoke and slip back into transfer case. I’ll bet for those who did grease yoke, it probably quieted it down, but I don’t think grease is meant to go into transfer case. It’s not over the top clunking, just occasionally when quick brake-to acceleration. I’ve actually learned how to mostly avoid it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
2wd yokes are externally vented and have a seal on the output shaft that prevents the intrusion of ATF. I could see those needing greased, but 4wd allows ATF inside the splines to lubricate, and thusly would allow the grease out to mix with the ATF in the t-case. I wouldn't grease it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It depends on whether the slip yoke is vented or not. If there is a hole in cap, they get greased. if there's no hole, then no grease. The cap is what plugs the other end of the slip yoke barrel.