Y-pipe upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can. :) Glad to see that thread helping others. What happened in my case was I was hoping to do a true dual exhaust system using the dual cat setup found on Vortec stuff. I had a 1997 Yukon 4x4 in my driveway alongside my 1989 K1500. Visually, they looked identical, the manifolds even dump in the same spot. So I ordered the I-I pipe for a Vortec and was all happy with myself until I took it into the exhaust shop. Turned out that the flanges on the manifold are different so stuff wouldn't bolt up and the floor pans are even different, dude doing the work said the I-I pipe was hitting the floor pan.. So a no go and a huge loss of money and time for me.
So in theory, if I had Vortec exhaust manifolds, and possibly clearanced the floor pan with a BFH...?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Perhaps.. Let us know how it goes haha. If you do have Vortec manifolds, at least the boss for the O2 sensor is there, but you'll still have to drill and tap it.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vehicle is a 1995 Chevy 2500, 5.7 TBI
Does the '96 & up Vortec dual converter pipe assy fit the angle and diameter of the outlets of the TBI exhaust manifold?

I've got a Magnaflow cat-back system for the 131" wheelbase truck in my "spare parts" inventory, and I purchased a 2500 reg. cab longbed. The truck has an aftermarket, wrinkle bent, replacement y-pipe. Here in New Yuck and its salty winters, that things days are numbered. So how about it? Will the dual pipes/dual converter assy physically fit?

Does the '96 & up Vortec dual converter pipe assy fit the angle and diameter of the outlets of the TBI exhaust manifold?

I've got a Magnaflow cat-back system for the 131" wheelbase truck in my "spare parts" inventory, and I purchased a 2500 reg. cab longbed. The truck has an aftermarket, wrinkle bent, replacement y-pipe. Here in New Yuck and its salty winters, that things days are numbered. So how about it? Will the dual pipes/dual converter assy physically fit?

This is what I bought for my 99 suburban.
I'm swapping tbi motors in a 95 k2500 standard cab long box truck. The exhaust on that is totally junk. This h pipe is 2 piece to fit in box easier. I slid under my 95 with it to check fit and it is going to work and clear fine. The reviews mention that one of the flanges doesn't go over the studs and that is true. One side has elongated holes and the other side are round. I'm going to have to elongate the round ones to get it to work but by twisting the drivers side pipe where it slides into the passenger side you can get it to sit on the flanges square and get the pipes to clear everything floor included. The 99 sub is getting the full duel system and I'm buying another front h pipe for the 95 and using the good rear converter back off of the sub on the 95. Total for the complete duel kit and h pipe from Jeggs was 578 to my door. The h pipe was just over 200. The entire system is well built and looks good. Hope this helps

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got this JBA SS mandrel bent Y pipe and high flow cat, they fit perfectly on my shorty headers in my 88. With a short 3" pipe they fit with my muffler too.
You must be registered for see images attach

www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-2831sy
Looks much nicer than the stock y pipe. My 2500 has a 2.25 y pipe. My 1500 looks to be 2 inch. Both with the crinkle bends and crappie restrictive merge point

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Given substantial creativity, pretty-much any exhaust pipe can be attached to any other exhaust pipe--welded, clamped, brazed, swaged, etc. There's dozens of size-adapting reducers/expanders, and most anything can be custom-fabricated from generic mandrel bends.

Legally, in the USA, you must keep the same number of catalytic converters in the same location as factory equipped; OR you need to have a Federal or CARB exemption number for your modification. I assumed the same thing for Canada; I thought Canada largely copied our Federal rules 'n' regulations, eh? Maybe I'm wrong.

Those living under CARB rules (Communifornia, and similar Libtaard states) need OEM-style catalysts. Those living under Federal regulations can use generic aftermarket catalysts with some restrictions.

So if your plan is to put a dual-cat exhaust pipe onto a vehicle that came with a single-cat pipe, I'm sure you can "make it fit"; but it's likely not legal. How likely are you to be inspected for legal exhaust now, and during the entire service life of the "illegal" exhaust?
I live in New Yuck. They do both visual and electronic (through the DLC) for annual inspections. Their wording states: the first 2 model years are emissions exempt, as well as 25+ years old. So, my 1995, being 26 years old is an annual "Safety Only".
Oh, and I'm a NYSI inspector, though I'm not supposed to inspect my own vehicles. I just happen to know all the rules, and a couple other certified inspectors...

Last edited:

Russ95

Reaction score
1995 sierra 350/auto Bought the Flowmaster y pipe with cat. 2 1/2" into 3" fit great except for having to shorten the down pipes to raise it up due to my ride height. Using a dynomax 3" intermediate pipe to a fm 50 series and a dump. All mandrel bent, sounds a bit louder than i expected especially after the y pipe install, but looks and performs great. Was shocked at how bad the stock y pipe looked when removed and how much better the truck performed with the new one. Was like i gained a few cylinders. Lol