Y-pipe upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vehicle is a 1995 Chevy 2500, 5.7 TBI
Does the '96 & up Vortec dual converter pipe assy fit the angle and diameter of the outlets of the TBI exhaust manifold?

I've got a Magnaflow cat-back system for the 131" wheelbase truck in my "spare parts" inventory, and I purchased a 2500 reg. cab longbed. The truck has an aftermarket, wrinkle bent, replacement y-pipe. Here in New Yuck and its salty winters, that things days are numbered. So how about it? Will the dual pipes/dual converter assy physically fit?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the '96 & up Vortec dual converter pipe assy fit the angle and diameter of the outlets of the TBI exhaust manifold?

I've got a Magnaflow cat-back system for the 131" wheelbase truck in my "spare parts" inventory, and I purchased a 2500 reg. cab longbed. The truck has an aftermarket, wrinkle bent, replacement y-pipe. Here in New Yuck and its salty winters, that things days are numbered. So how about it? Will the dual pipes/dual converter assy physically fit?
I’m going to lean to a ‘no’ based on what @DerekTheGreat ran into, but maybe he can chime in.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m going to lean to a ‘no’ based on what @DerekTheGreat ran into, but maybe he can chime in.

Drag... I read through to the end. He wasn't too descriptive but that is an expensive lesson.
Thank for sending me the link!
What say you @DerekTheGreat? Can you elaborate?

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Don't know for sure. Just bought a mandrel bent 2.25 inch off road pipe from jegs. It has the o2 bungs with plugs and no cats for my 99 suburban along with a duel exhaust kit. I'm changing motors on a 95 k2500 and it needs everything. I'm going to put that vortec pipe against the tbi motor and check fit. If it does fit I'll update here and order one of those pipes for it and use the single exhaust that's coming off of the suburban to finish it up. The tbi y pipes are really restrictive and that jegs pipe looks really nice.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't know for sure. Just bought a mandrel bent 2.25 inch off road pipe from jegs. It has the o2 bungs with plugs and no cats for my 99 suburban along with a duel exhaust kit. I'm changing motors on a 95 k2500 and it needs everything. I'm going to put that vortec pipe against the tbi motor and check fit. If it does fit I'll update here and order one of those pipes for it and use the single exhaust that's coming off of the suburban to finish it up. The tbi y pipes are really restrictive and that jegs pipe looks really nice.
Yup, the Jegs small block converter delete pipe is the one I have my eye on. $235 to eliminate the wrinkle bent Walker y-pipe, and the pelletized brick of an OE converter is better than the 7 bill's from the earlier write up...
Seeing as New Yuck doesnt require emissions testing on 25+year old vehicles, I might just close my eyes and wave through on that one.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, the Jegs small block converter delete pipe is the one I have my eye on. $235 to eliminate the wrinkle bent Walker y-pipe, and the pelletized brick of an OE converter is better than the 7 bill's from the earlier write up...
Seeing as New Yuck doesnt require emissions testing on 25+year old vehicles, I might just close my eyes and wave through on that one.
Just bought one and the duel kit from jegs last wk for my 99 burb. The duel kit and that delete pipe are beautiful. The front pipe was 210 or 201 when I bought it and the rest of the exhaust was 359. Just need to slide under my 95 and make sure it fits. At least it is a2 piece pipe. Should make it easier to adjust if necessary

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Picked this up in late '18 and didnt truly read the fine print. Found my 2500 Suburban had a converter AFTER the flange and the exhaust is for a 1500. Thankfully I only paid $550 and not the $700+ they want now...
It's like the old saying: the most expensive tool in a mechanics toolbox is the one you only use once
At least now I can finally use it!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given substantial creativity, pretty-much any exhaust pipe can be attached to any other exhaust pipe--welded, clamped, brazed, swaged, etc. There's dozens of size-adapting reducers/expanders, and most anything can be custom-fabricated from generic mandrel bends.

Legally, in the USA, you must keep the same number of catalytic converters in the same location as factory equipped; OR you need to have a Federal or CARB exemption number for your modification. I assumed the same thing for Canada; I thought Canada largely copied our Federal rules 'n' regulations, eh? Maybe I'm wrong.

Those living under CARB rules (Communifornia, and similar Libtaard states) need OEM-style catalysts. Those living under Federal regulations can use generic aftermarket catalysts with some restrictions.

So if your plan is to put a dual-cat exhaust pipe onto a vehicle that came with a single-cat pipe, I'm sure you can "make it fit"; but it's likely not legal. How likely are you to be inspected for legal exhaust now, and during the entire service life of the "illegal" exhaust?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Drag... I read through to the end. He wasn't too descriptive but that is an expensive lesson.
Thank for sending me the link!
What say you @DerekTheGreat? Can you elaborate?
I can. :) Glad to see that thread helping others. What happened in my case was I was hoping to do a true dual exhaust system using the dual cat setup found on Vortec stuff. I had a 1997 Yukon 4x4 in my driveway alongside my 1989 K1500. Visually, they looked identical, the manifolds even dump in the same spot. So I ordered the I-I pipe for a Vortec and was all happy with myself until I took it into the exhaust shop. Turned out that the flanges on the manifold are different so stuff wouldn't bolt up and the floor pans are even different, dude doing the work said the I-I pipe was hitting the floor pan.. So a no go and a huge loss of money and time for me.