xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much heavier than a th400. I didnt think it was that heavy, but I just adjusted its position on the harbor freight furniture dolly that I bought for it. Now I can scoot it around so it's less in my way.
I don't know. Feels like it's twice as heavy as the front diff and transfer case. Probably is. Even without the torque converter.

I mean, it's all relative of course. Many more even heavier transmissions out there.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder how much heavier than a th400. I didnt think it was that heavy, but I just adjusted its position on the harbor freight furniture dolly that I bought for it. Now I can scoot it around so it's less in my way.

That's because you, like me, didn't try benching the thing yourself.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I got the 4L80E for my red truck I was pretty impressed at how much heavier it was than the 4L60E. I could manhandle the 60 around the garage by myself no problem. The 80 felt like it was going to take my back out the first time I lifted it. According to Google it should only be about a 40lb difference, but it definitely felt like more.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did some measurements on the part of the rear driveshaft where one of the slip yokes goes over.

You must be registered for see images attach

Trying to find the Spicer part number for a replacement stub shaft. I feel like it's half-a$$ to replace the female slip yoke but leave the male slip yoke on the driveshaft when the Glidecote coating is rubbed off on certain spots.

This is the one I found meets the measurements. It is a Spicer 3-53-1551 midship stub shaft.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old one will need to be cut off and this one welded in its place. Then driveshaft assembled and balanced.

My father-in-law is a pipe fitter and my stepfather is a welder. I'm going to talk to them to see if they can do the job. Then all I will need to do is have the driveshaft shop balance the driveshaft. I think if I have the driveshaft shop weld it on, they're going to make me buy the tube shaft through them which means I'm going to have to pay their ridiculous parts mark-up.