xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Measured like twenty times, ugh. I believe it's about 0.54 mm.

You must be registered for see images attach

I think this shim will do.

I did buy them all for the rebuild. Keep the others on hand for future use.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Measured like twenty times, ugh. I believe it's about 0.54 mm.

I think this shim will do.

I did buy them all for the rebuild. Keep the others on hand for future use.

Isn't that 2.53mm, or am I missing something?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that 2.53mm, or am I missing something?
Per tool instructions, it instructs you to start measuring after the main dial has rotated approximately three times (and the small dial is at 3), or the dial gauge indicator arm is at half-way of its total travel.

Basically, I compressed the dial gauge indicator to three complete rotations. The small dial gauge was on 3. I zeroed the main dial gauge. Then, I rotated the arm to the side bearing bore and took the measurement. I only measured what was on the main dial gauge. The small dial gauge was ignored.

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-did the measurement by the instructions to the letter (zeroing out the dial gauge indicator in the step it instructs to do so, not before), and it was 0.58 mm (0.0023 in). Did it a couple of times and it replicated the same result, so I am comfortable with that. There was a shim with that exact measurement as well. Installed the shim and the inner pinion bearing onto the pinion gear shaft.

Cleaned up the yoke last night in preparation for installing the outer pinion shaft bearing, yoke, crush sleeve, and seal.

Decided to buy a few more crush sleeves in case I mess it up. Should be here early next week. First time doing one of these, so might need a couple spares. I think I have decided to use my hydraulic press to crush the sleeve a little, i.e., to start it. Maybe it will work. I've heard otherwise that it takes a LOT of force to crush the sleeve.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re-did the measurement by the instructions to the letter (zeroing out the dial gauge indicator in the step it instructs to do so, not before), and it was 0.58 mm (0.0023 in). Did it a couple of times and it replicated the same result, so I am comfortable with that. There was a shim with that exact measurement as well. Installed the shim and the inner pinion bearing onto the pinion gear shaft.

Cleaned up the yoke last night in preparation for installing the outer pinion shaft bearing, yoke, crush sleeve, and seal.

Decided to buy a few more crush sleeves in case I mess it up. Should be here early next week. First time doing one of these, so might need a couple spares. I think I have decided to use my hydraulic press to crush the sleeve a little, i.e., to start it. Maybe it will work. I've heard otherwise that it takes a LOT of force to crush the sleeve.
I used a crush sleeve eliminator kit. Once you shim it, you can remove the pinion all you want or need to. After my rebuild, the pinion seal started leaking. I was real glad, I used the eliminator kit.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a crush sleeve eliminator kit. Once you shim it, you can remove the pinion all you want or need to. After my rebuild, the pinion seal started leaking. I was real glad, I used the eliminator kit.
Did you replace the pinion seal during your rebuild and then it started leaking soon after that? If so, why do you believe that happened? Interesting.

During the rebuild, did you apply sealant on both sides of the washer and the threads of the pinion shaft?