XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryhno

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question? I bought a 84-94 xj steering shaft from eBay. I tried for a hour to heat it and separate it lastnight. And I got no where except aggravated. But I’m wondering my steering shaft has 2 Indentions on both flat sides of the shaft that I don’t see on y’all’s that posted pictures? And I’m not sure if they are holding it together or it’s my handheld torch just not getting it not enough? Here’s a picture of the shaft that I bought.

You must be registered for see images attach

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question? I bought a 84-94 xj steering shaft from eBay. I tried for a hour to heat it and separate it lastnight. And I got no where except aggravated. But I’m wondering my steering shaft has 2 Indentions on both flat sides of the shaft that I don’t see on y’all’s that posted pictures? And I’m not sure if they are holding it together or it’s my handheld torch just not getting it not enough? Here’s a picture of the shaft that I bought.

Does it slide at all?

Ryhno

Reaction score
Ok, got it apart by drilling out those 4 indentions. This must be a new Design because it doesn’t have glue inside but those four indentions hold it to the inner shaft so it can’t slide.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I picked up a shaft from a early 2000s 1500 van for my 99 Tahoe, but I cant seem to separate the two shafts. Anybody know the trick?

Reaction score

I tackled this same job yesterday, purchased that same shaft from ebay too. After torching it forever I realized there is no internal plastic, it is indeed held on by those indentations. Instead of drilling however, I just beat the shaft out. After getting it out I was able to file down those little nipples inside that were holding it. Made sure to grease it and slide the shaft back in. I imagine you ran across this too, there was no need to cut a groove into the column like you would have to do using an OEM Jeep shaft, as the bolt is in a different spot. Overall this new shaft worked out great and helped take out some slack in the steering. A+

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK. Verified that the lower shaft of an early 2000s 1500 van works on 95+ trucks with the u-joint behind the firewall. The engagement is fairly shallow, so I wouldnt recommend it if you have a body lift, but man! is it nice and tite! BTW, I did this on my 99 2-door Tahoe.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
I drilled and tapped the upper tube and used 2 small set screws to take up that slack. It is nice and tight, but will still collapse with force (I tested this with a deadblow before installing it for proof of concept).

Two, 180 from each other?