XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Lee

Reaction score
Not sure if the eBay seller sold me the wrong product or not. I ordered a 88-96 Jeep Cherokee XJ steering shaft. It came and looked brand new. But was 24" long fully compressed. My truck is a 94 k1500 4x4 with 6.5L diesel. And it's shaft is only 19" compressed . So I cut 5 1/2" off it and made it work. Just strange I thought. And extra step, easy one though. My steering is better then it ever had been before!

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One of the best mods i ever done. Took my truck on an approx 250 mile drive to Dallas Ft Worth and back recently to Summit racing to pick up a main floor pan for a project car. Truck drove like it had rack and pinion. No slop whatsoever. I did drill and tap the outer sleeve in 2 spots and put 2 loctited set screws in to pin the inner and outer shafts together because of a little play between the 2. That you get when pulling them apart to make the length adjustable.

Truck ran great too. Pulled down 22.5 MPG @ 70-75 mph with a 150k mile 350 in it. So much for Obambas cash for clunkers. This thing is not a guzzler. I bet most of the ones turned in and destroyed werent either. Our tax dollars getting abused so people could buy *** and korean made junk is all that was.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm, I believe at least some of that slip in the shaft was meant for it to collapse in a crash so you didn't crush your chest with the steering wheel. I know there's features in the column itself where some plastic bits shear off too but that sliding of the shaft is part of the protection.

Richard

Guss327

Reaction score
Hi all I did this upgrade today I went to yard got 2 shafts (in case on was bent ?) I came home melted the plastic and cleaned up painted and greased up shafts and made small notch for top bolt to fit when installed . I took for 20 mile ride way better but I need to check over the other steering now . Great upgrade

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this swap a couple years ago, and I love it. But, when I bought my new mid length headers, I had to clearance the bell at the top to clear. Was fine until I built a new motor for my truck and installed new motor mounts when I put it in. Now, theres no way to grind enough to keep it from hitting the header. So, I found a place that sell steering u-joints and shafts pretty cheap (compared to Flaming River and the like), but they dont have applications on their site. So, I need to know the size for the spline at the steering gear and the d-shaft size at the steering shaft end. Cant seem to find the sizes anywhere.

Seaurchin1969

Reaction score
Ok guys you got me, I bought a used Tahoe about a year ago, has 6" pro comp suspension lift, and a 3" body lift, and is on 34.5 tires. I have been having issues with the front suspension, upper control arm bushings, ate the first set, put in Moogs the second time, had driver wheel bearing come apart going down the road, replaced both sides. Napa idler arm, new steering box. I put on a single steering stablizer that helped, but i have really bad road follow, and it feels squirly like wind buffeting the truck. I ordered a jeep steering shaft, to see if that will take some slack out.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all-

Being a big jeep person I knew I could find a shaft pretty easily out of XJ's but ended up going the rag joint eliminator route using the Flaming River Billet Joint FR1746DD (1" DD x 3/4" -30 if you need the size for comparable joint) and the method hosted here: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/steeringadjustment.html

I will say that my rag joint was surprisingly in decent shape- 1996 K2500 3/4 ton 8 lug but the joint took out a few inches of play from the wheel and the noise/ road vibrations are minimal to not noticeable. Took the truck for a drive after red lock tight had a hour to cure (FR joint is weld-less) and was pleasantly surprised. I am sure this is similar to the XJ shaft feeling as its more direct and less play than the rag joint. Next move is to replace steering box and all TRE's (265k- no service records on those parts!) and call it good. I have 35's and they track very true especially after the intermediate shaft joint upgrade. Firestone lifetime alignment for these trucks does a pretty good job getting it into spec.

Seaurchin1969

Reaction score
Ok i got the shaft i ordered, its too long. Ill look at it real hard tomorrow, but i think i can shorten it without destroying it.

Seaurchin1969

Reaction score
Ok, i got the flaming fiver u-joint. Prolly took an hour start to finish. My stock steering shaft is a tubular affair on the lower half. The rag joint is pressed or forged onto the end, and I had little trouble using a vice a hammer and drift, driving the rag joint off

the old shaft had a ridge around the end, a little light grinding,

And the u-joint fit rite on

I just went through the holes with a drill and made a dimple for the set screw, no pic of that, install set screws

Reassemble

And install, i have to readjust my steering wheel, but i took it for a test drive, its greatly improved, but there is still some slop in the front end.

Last edited: