XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did grease it.

This joint above the u-joint is wobbly. What is it called? I think it should be replaced but can't find the part or service kit cause I do not know what it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So guys I’m finally trying to install it but I can’t get the two parts to separate. I’ve used heat and also beat it and barely anything. Is the plastic peice right where the two parts meet or is it up higher?

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man this mod made my truck much worse lol Way more steering slop and to go straight I need to make the steering wheel go right even though there's only one way to install the shaft. Dead jeeps probably sent me bum part

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,

In here is there is a post about the Unbalanced Engineering metal donut not fitting. I read it and decided to buy a urethane donut from ebay and try that. Well as it turns out my '98 2-door has the small rag joint so that didn't fit (I will sell it to you cheap if you want it PM me). I got the unbalanced metal one and put it in successfully. I figured people would want to know.

If you do this job, buy a replacement whole joint that comes in two pieces with bolts. Getting the rivets out of the original joint is fairly miserable unless you have a drill press.

682XLR8

Reaction score
Just did this mod this evening, and it made a HUGE difference in steering! Shaft went in exactly as the OP described. Bought both the shaft and lower column bearing through Summit, and installed them both in less than an hour

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying to make an educated decision and maybe someone can explain the reasoning better.

If I'm understanding this correctly the sole purpose of this "so-called" up grade is to eliminate steering slop by replacing a worn out rag joint with a U-joint. But why are we not fixing with a new rag joint?

When these trucks were new they had tight steering but now that there's some play (and we know it's a bad rag joint) we're opting to redesign the steering shaft and use U-joints. I thought u-joints were used when steering shafts would not fall on a straight plain and some angulation was needed.

The rag joint purpose is to eliminate vibration as well as allowing for the flex and movement between the body and the frame.

If you have ever jacked up the front of the car and then let it down on jack stands, then you know what frame flex is. Since the column is attached to both the body and the frame(at the steering box) the rag joint compensates for the movement between the two.

Wouldn't a new rag joint with new teeth and or a new gear box fix the problem ?