XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GM part numbers for the shaft and the one longer bolt needed, have already been posted in this thread. This thread is so overgrown with bad info and duplicate posts as to be cumbersome and non-helpful.

Last I heard, the GM shaft has been discontinued, but there were still some in dealer stock unsold. Another guy claimed they weren't discontinued, just "supply chain problems".

Anyway, I bought a new GM shaft about two years ago, and the Stealership also had the "special" bolt. Dorman supplied an aftermarket version. I don't remember the Dorman part number.

Shaft (From C3500HD, I think.)
You must be registered for see images attach

Longer bolt for U-joint shaft, above, compared to orignal bolt used with rag-joint shaft.
RockAuto is currently selling GM 26015779 for $140.79. And, yes, this is a somewhat confusing thread. It seems from what’s being said here is, that this part(26015779)is a no-go for 96-98 with airbags. BUT, the Cunningham Machine part is the way to go for 96-2000(for a new part that isn’t Dorman). Does this sound right?
It’s also confusing why Cunningham lists it for a 95 with no airbag! :crazy:

Last edited:

norton

Reaction score
someone used C3500 GM 26015779 steering shaft for 96+ models? ... for what i can see it has a GM coupling for steering box (safe and strong), U-joint then goes to an 1"DD shaft and a 3/4"DD insert for upper part...

i wouldn't use the intere part, used the lower with u-joint and put the 3/4"DD old upper steering, as Cunningham or Borgeson made for their universal steering for 95+ models

ask this because i don't like, and therefore i don't want to use, the poor one bolt fix to the groove Cunningham or Borgeson used for U-joint coupling to steering gear box.

I find it really absurd to use these strong parts
when you don't use an equally secure and strong connection

Last edited:

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would like to hear some real world feed back on the xj shaft. Since there isn’t a rag joint do you get a lot of road feed back? Is it worth it? I have everything to do it but never have.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the XJ shaft on WCJr. It got rid of all the slop in the wheel, but you're still steering a link-style steering setup. There's no noticeable increase in vibration.