Wow another RKE question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m sure some of you long time members must be getting sick of RKE questions at this point, but I’m gonna add one to the pile.

Yes I’m aware that the factory RKE kinda sucked but I’m okay with that, it’s better than not having it. Oh, and my truck has factory power windows and locks.

So like a lot of people, I want keyless entry, but I’d like a factory style setup. Now my truck is a 94, and I know that RKE didn’t come factory till 95, but if I could find a RKE module from a 95, what wires/plugs would I need to get and how do I wire it to my 94 to make it look and act stock?

Also, how does the RKE work in the 95? Does it light up the interior and headlights when unlocked? Does it honk the horn when you lock it? Or does it literally just lock and unlock the doors?

Also, if anyone has any pictures of the RKE module or of the wiring/plugs, I’d really appreciate it. I have no idea what I’m looking for...

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The horn honking wasn't introduced until 98 or 99, and none of them flash any exterior lights, however they do work the dome lights. I think the RKE modules in the 95s (like almost everything else in the 95s) were one-off, so I'd recommend grabbing one from a 96+.

Unfortunately..... Wiring it in is quite the involved process. I can definitely walk you through it if it's something you think you want to do, but the following needs to be done:

- Both door lock actuators need their wires extended out to the module, and the left and right actuators will be wired independently.

- The door lock switches on both sides have to be rewired. Factory, one switch runs THROUGH the other to activate the lock actuator, whereas with RKE the module receives the lock button signals and activates the actuators.

- You'll need to add a toggle switch somewhere to ground out the remote programming wire.

- Add a wire from the dome light circuit to the module

- ...I'm probably forgetting something but I think that's all at minimum needed to get it working.

I'll go shoot a pic of my modules real quick, since all my truck wiring is currently out of the truck lol

You must be registered for see images attach

That's the RKE module itself. They're all the same from 96-2001 GMT400 trucks, and they're mounted to the right side of the steering column upper support bracket up close to the firewall.

You might want to grab this little guy too, although with your truck being only a 2-door, I don't really believe it's needed. That is a two-relay module used in the four door trucks and SUVs to share the passenger door actuator loads, but seeing as there's only one passenger door, the RKE module itself should be able to handle it fine with its built-in relay. But they threw them in the trucks too anyway lol.

When buying remotes, you'll need to make sure the FCCID matches between your module and the remote. All the GMT400 trucks I've seen with RKE use ABO1502 remotes.

Last edited:

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now I've read that the RKE system goes through the OBD1 port, and since the 94s and the 95s both use OBD1, I figured finding a 95 module would be the easiest to hook up. But if the 96+ modules aren't any more difficult, then I would like to know what year the newer fobs were introduced? I've seen the newer fobs on 98s, but was that the first year that they had the new fobs?

This is the newer fob that I'm talking about, the older one is square, but I've heard that the newer fob has much better range and it's much easier to source a newer fob than the older one.

Now I'm no expert, but couldn't I just hook the RKE module into the door lock switch so that when I hit the lock or unlock button, it just acts as if I hit the switch in the truck?

And yes this is absolutely something that I want to do lol.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Those started in 96 I believe, pretty sure only the 95s had the square style. But, if I'm not mistaken, the 90-94 S-Blazers used the same module, and if not the same module, they did use the square style remotes. But if you want the newer one, 97+ is a guarantee. The programming wire does go to the OBD port, but it doesn't have to... All you have to do is ground that wire to program remotes.

Unfortunately, no, you can't just put the module in parallel with the lock switches due to the fact that ALL motor lines are grounded unless you're using one of the buttons to lock or unlock. If you were to just put the module in line, it would short out as soon as you tried to activate it.