Worth Rebuilding Rearend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AgentYager

Reaction score
So my rear axle tubes are pretty rusty, the only place it leaks is the cover which I'm sure it's time to change the fluid (if there is any). Would it even be worth it to mess with it? I have a welder and I'm not afraid to put another rear end in. It's mostly on the ends where the backing plates are since it looks like the brake line leaked for a while and the previous owner never fixed it.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I mean, your axle tubes are like .250 thick or more, backing plates are replaceable.

That said, if you have a ten bolt, I wouldn't bother for other reasons.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
C'mon, man. It isn't like this is a 400 horse stroker S10 or third generation camaro with a 7.5" rear. Rusty axle tubes and a leaky cover? Remove the cover, drain whatever fluid is left, clean mating surfaces, new gasket, fill it up, button it up, and DRIVE.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
C'mon, man. It isn't like this is a 400 horse stroker S10 or third generation camaro with a 7.5" rear. Rusty axle tubes and a leaky cover? Remove the cover, drain whatever fluid is left, clean mating surfaces, new gasket, fill it up, button it up, and DRIVE.

What he said.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
It looks like you may want to replace your spring plates and bolts, but the rest of that looks fine. Hit it with a wire whel if it really bother's you, rattle can it, and watch it look exactly the same in a year lol.

AgentYager

Reaction score
I honestly don't know how people let the rust get this bad on vehicles. Most of the frame on the drivers side looks like this and its like they didn't even care lol.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I honestly don't know how people let the rust get this bad on vehicles. Most of the frame on the drivers side looks like this and its like they didn't even care lol.

I see it all the time, hole sin places where it was obviously just a paint chip five year's ago, and now it's a gaping hole because they just looked at it forever. Then once the metal fell through, they tried to hit it with some 80 grit and prime it lol.

And that spring plate is the result of neglect, not washing thing's, going mudding and leaving it dirty cuz it looks awesome, etc. But, the rearend itself should be fine, like I said, the tubes are over 1/4 thick.

AgentYager

Reaction score
Nice, I will start scraping and pounding and paint on some krustoleum or something next weekend. Thank you Gentlemen.