Wooden Flatbed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shannon_w

Reaction score
Hey all! There used to be a place for non gmt400 but I can’t seem to find it. So I’ll stick it here.
let me start with giving you the info for my truck:
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
4.8v8/4l60e
228,580 miles on the clock
it’s a single cab short bed.
yes....the bed...
my bed is all mangled up and it’s a good running truck, never gives me any problems and I thought about going to find a good bed at a u-pull until I seen a little s10 with a homemade wooden bed.
will my suspension be able to handle the heavier wooden bed? How would I go about relocating the filler neck? What about lights? I have plans on how I am going to construct the bed itself but it’s the small stuff that’s getting me. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I replaced the bed on my first truck with wood. Mine was as low to frame as I could get it, and I used a pair per side of some sort of auxiliary/trailer lights that I found at Meijer's. They weren't the typical lights you see. I don't think I actually had reverse lights. Just make sure you ground them well. I have no recollection of what I did for the filler.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt a wood flatbed weighs as much as a stock bed, so you should be fine there. I've see stock taillights mounted horizontally under flatbeds, functional but ugly imo. You'll have to get creative with the filler neck, you can alter it and route it where you like. My BIL ran in up through the bed floor and rail on his square, added an aftermarket cap on the bed rail, and hid the neck in a hollowed out jerry can.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you googled any flat bed farm ranch type trucks the fuel filler was usually in aboat the same location using material the neck was attached too, bent a large tab 90 at the top and attached to bottom of bed. As to your lighting. I would probably save all the OE stuff in box for future. Then shop around for some aftermarket led tailights and marker running lights. The prices are good. And the ones built for trailers like at tractor supply waterproof. Just an idea, i will rehabilitate my box trailer like this winter project. Good luck.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If an S10 was able to handle a wood flat bed, your GMT800 is gonna struggle unless you use balsa wood... You've got fewer leaf springs, and they're known for breaking easily.