Wipers only working on high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy92

Reaction score
I changed the wiper motor and now my wipers work, but they only work when on high. And you have to catch them at the bottom of the windshield and turn it off quickly so they can stay down there. What could be the problem? Please help

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I changed the wiper motor and now my wipers work, but they only work when on high. And you have to catch them at the bottom of the windshield and turn it off quickly so they can stay down there. What could be the problem? Please help
Have you changed the wiper module?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Switch in the column rarely goes bad, and I mean RARELY.. in fact the only failure I've personally observed is one that the switch physically broke so it didn't have any separate positions anymore, just spun back and forth freely.

It sounds like you may have bought the wrong wiper motor (there's pulse and non-pulse), or got a defective one.

What was wrong with your original? Almost always the problem is simply the solder joints where the connector socket attaches to the circuit board and that is easily fixed; the motor itself almost never goes bad.

Richard

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
in fact the only failure I've personally observed is one that the switch physically broke so it didn't have any separate positions anymore, just spun back and forth freely.
That’s the one I’m talking about. Mine doesn’t click at every position anymore.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What caused you to start this maint' action? What was happening?

Chevy92

Reaction score
Well the reason i switched it out was because i was getting power to the motor but it just felt super hot. So i thought the motor was just bad. It might be the board then. I will have to find the correct one.

brningdawn

Reaction score
I heard an engine guy from GM once say that if the ground strap on the back of the block on an sbc is bad it can cause phantom wipers. They kind of do their own thing. I have no idea if that could cause your problem but it's an easy thing to check.