wiper arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
A couple of folks mentioned about the wipers parking too high and then how to adjust by removing the arms and going a couple of teeth over and reattaching.

I tried that originally, as it works for OBS Ford trucks but GM decided they'd be clever and put a keyway or something like that to prevent you from getting away with an easy adjustment. Least that's how my truck was. Each wiper can be adjust somewhat, but it's done with these little nuts that are near where the wiper transmissions connect to the wiper motor arm. This is a PITA to adjust and play with as there aren't any steps or notches, you have to make small adjustments, retighten those nuts and then eye ball it. You keep repeating this until you get it right. Probably a better way but that's how I did it.. I took all the plastic cowl trim off and then put the wipers back on. Made small adjustments and checked by cycling the wipers and watching where they parked. Took several hours from start to finish but I'm happy with the results now. If your wipers park funny, chances are some clown was in there before and didn't mark things when they took it apart. Then they just threw it back together and said "F it."

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Thanks @95C1500 for that method of removing wiper arms. I am used to lifting them up and pulling them like that, once I layed them back down after pulling the tab, they were easier to pull off!

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cutting them works awesome, I would also drill the spring hole a little higher up so there's more tension on it. I advise that because I had used 20" blades on stock arms but they would chatter in heavy rain and snow. End result worked out great for me and currently Using 22" blades.
You must be registered for see images attach

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally got around to cutting mine down and are using 22" blades. I first cut the arm at the aluminium housing, drilled out the rivit and smacked the small portion out, used the small piece as a templet to drill 2 new holes in the larger piece and re assembled with a small screw and nut. After all that I filled the underside of the arm with welding putty from HF for extra insurance.

made a huge diffrence it the visiabilty of the windshield .

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't have a pic of them on the truck but after painting them they look good. The hardest part is sliding the arm in the Alum part, hooking up the spring , then pulling ti back to get the bolt threw the hole.

Nilocsemliw

Reaction score
A couple of folks mentioned about the wipers parking too high and then how to adjust by removing the arms and going a couple of teeth over and reattaching.

I tried that originally, as it works for OBS Ford trucks but GM decided they'd be clever and put a keyway or something like that to prevent you from getting away with an easy adjustment. Least that's how my truck was. Each wiper can be adjust somewhat, but it's done with these little nuts that are near where the wiper transmissions connect to the wiper motor arm. This is a PITA to adjust and play with as there aren't any steps or notches, you have to make small adjustments, retighten those nuts and then eye ball it. You keep repeating this until you get it right. Probably a better way but that's how I did it.. I took all the plastic cowl trim off and then put the wipers back on. Made small adjustments and checked by cycling the wipers and watching where they parked. Took several hours from start to finish but I'm happy with the results now. If your wipers park funny, chances are some clown was in there before and didn't mark things when they took it apart. Then they just threw it back together and said "F it."
Hey Derek, I am having the same issue and want my wiper blades to “park” lower. Which nut did you adjust? and How do you remove the plastic cowl? I feel like I’m going to break something.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hey Derek, I am having the same issue and want my wiper blades to “park” lower. Which nut did you adjust? and How do you remove the plastic cowl? I feel like I’m going to break something.
Hello Niloc!

Off the top of my head, here's what you need to do to get to those nuts:

1) Take the wiper arms off. Depending on how long it's been since they've been off & how crusty- this can be difficult. Flip each arm up and you'll see a little metal tab near the base. Pull this tab out toward the windshield and let the wiper arm rest on it- you should now be able to wrestle the entire arm off the spindle.

2) Remove all of the phillips screws from the plastic cowl piece. I forget how many there are, six maybe? But if I remember right, the two at the corner of each fender are best accessible with the hood down. Corner pieces are also separate from the main section IIRC.. If you've got a ladder you can probably get to all of them with the hood down. This piece of trim is very easy to break, if it isn't already broken. If it isn't coming off easily, look for another fastener. Once they're all removed, you may have to finesse getting the trim piece out safely.

3) With all the trim out of the way, you now have access to the wiper motor shaft. You'll see where each of the linkages connect to it, each arm's linkage will have two small (8mm or 1/4" maybe?) nuts which connect them to the wiper motor. Loosen them and you will be able to move the wiper's a bit for adjustment. May take some time but this is where I just eyeballed it until I thought it was right. If you're lucky, those nuts will turn & nothing will break.

4) Once you're satisfied with the results, snug those little nuts up and then button it all back up.

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the linkage, which are 10 mm nuts. This process worked perfectly for me (save for some broken plastic, my fault for not being careful enough). P