wiper arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to me 1994 suburban and I am having trouble trying to see the front corners of the truck when it's raining due to the small wiper size.

Has anybody converted their arms from a different vehicle or modified their their arms so the could put on bigger wiper blades ?

Right now I am thinking of cutting down the arms a couple inches to accommodate a bigger blade, has anybody been down this road before .

Many Thanks,

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have this problem at all with my truck, I wonder if they've been switched in the past? I believe I'm rocking 18" both sides

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The manual says to use 18" blades. I've found that a 19" blade will work. That size will just come up to the top of the windshield without hitting the roof/body.
'95+ 400's use a different arm that uses a stiffer spring in the arm (Less chatter at higher vehicle speeds. Better wiping.) & will park lower on the windshield.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
+1
I put wiper arms from a '95+ truck on mine so I could move away from the 1960's pin style wiper attachment method.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
+1
I put wiper arms from a '95+ truck on mine so I could move away from the 1960's pin style wiper attachment method.
Yep, I literally installed them on my '90 earlier this week. Pretty decent upgrade.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The manual says to use 18" blades. I've found that a 19" blade will work. That size will just come up to the top of the windshield without hitting the roof/body.
'95+ 400's use a different arm that uses a stiffer spring in the arm (Less chatter at higher vehicle speeds. Better wiping.) & will park lower on the windshield.

The park lower on the windshield thing really makes me want to do this.

The 94 arms park so damn high on the windshield.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
x2 on the 19" wiper upgrade. I have 19s on both trucks, better coverage than the 18s. The conventional metal blade seems to contour the windshield better than the beams.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Add me to the list of folks interested in the change since mine is a '93. Is there any advice about what it takes to make this change/upgrade? I have never had a wiper arm off and do not know how it is removed or replaced. If there are any pitfalls I would like to know about them.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
To remove, lift the arm away from the windshield, pull the tab at the base towards the top of the truck and lay the arm back down. pull straight out and the arm will pop off. Install is the opposite of removal. Now, whether swapping to newer arms is straight forward or not, I can't say.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The newer arms are are straight-up re-n-re.
Overtime, some arms kinda weld themselves to the posts. Dis-similar metals = corrosion. Might take a few doses of PB Blaster or Moove-It over a couple days to let it soak before they come off.

95C1500. I've just lift the arms, pull the tab & lift the arms off the posts.

If you'd like to have even more vision than the newer style provide with their lower park position, try this...

You must be registered for see images attach

5/8" table leg slides. Plastic. Hardware store. 4 for a buck. They fit tight. Can be a bit of a PitA to remove them when new, but once they've been on-n-off a few times, it gets easier.
If it's not raining, my arms/blades are behind the seat.
Most pix you'll see of my truck, it has the wiper arms removed.