Winter Weight For Traction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
Trenton; I was born in Kansas too (Jayhawker) and raised all over the place. Now in Blaine Washington (not Lawrence). Gotta disagree with you regarding studded snow tires on ice. Several years ago studded snow tires caused me to do a 360 into a ditch on I-5, once they started spinning couldn't stop it. No damage just embarrassing , was with my 1965 Chevy Van which is a real lightweight, had sandbags in the back for traction. Got rid of those tires real quick. Do like my 4wd GMC k1500 Burb, the 6,000 lb beast goes anywhere in the snow. Yes we do get snow here, is rare, but since nobody knows how to drive in the snow its a demolition derby. I lived in Greeley Colorado and northern Idaho for a while so got used to snow driving, no brakes drive way ahead of yourself.

For sure, always brake A LOT sooner, and drive slower around corners. I'm suggesting studded tires because in my experience it helps a lot. I put a set of studded tires on my '02 Impala and that helped me out greatly last winter. I put non-studded winter tires on my Impala this year and they don't grip as well in acceleration or cornering as the studded tires did. I drive hotel shuttles for a resort and our RWD Ford Transit dually vans have studded tires which helps also. Driving 12 people and their luggage to the airport is kind of important. You need all the traction you can in a town where it snows 300" a year, haha.

As far as sports go, I don't care for basketball, but I AM a CHIEFS FAN!

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
I used to recommend cooper discoverer m+s, but this year they discontinued them to use all directional snow tires, which I hate due to lack of ability to properly rotate them. Closest next choice are cooper true north which are asymmetrical tires and u can rotate but I'm not sure of the size range, meaning probably can't get a 245/75 or 265/75 . All in all any snow tire is better than ANY mud tire, at tire, or all season tires. Sum weight in the back either above axle or behind axle will make a HUGE difference. I usually keep my quad or my sled in back of my truck for traction, even with 4wd ass end likes to come around, I have 35x12.50r20 mud tires, if they make a snow that big I'd get a pair tho! Have sum 33x12.50r16 winter force lt I may run just cause I'm tired of sliding.

Directional snow tires grip really well, though. The angled sipes and tread gaps are designed to eject snow, ice, and slush. I will agree, though, any snow tire will bet years better than any all-terrain tire. The softer rubber in snow tires sticks to the concrete so much better.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Directional snow tires grip really well, though. The angled sipes and tread gaps are designed to eject snow, ice, and slush. I will agree, though, any snow tire will bet years better than any all-terrain tire. The softer rubber in snow tires sticks to the concrete so much better.
I can't say they grip "better" than non directional snows but since they can't be rotated properly thier lifespan is half of what it should be...atleast that's what I see up here, I put on hundreds of sets of snow tires every winter here lol..the non directional ones last 4-5 season if the owner keeps em rotated. Directional average 2-3 seasons...again just what I've seen in my area.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Like I mentioned above, the Rotivas are soft. They won't contribute to a rough ride.
The cost of tires has increased tremendously since covid. Goodyear, BFG and Michelin are dang near impossible to get in popular sizes. The entry level stuff is coming from China and distribution is mostly miss in the hit and miss world. I haven't seen a tire this year that is within 15% of what it cost in January 2020 and the 3 that I mentioned above are 30% more in cost.

They may have a soft tread compound but that doesn't mean the case is designed in a way for a decent ride. I'm not positive the tires are what's giving me such a rough ride, but I think it's a good possibility.

These Rotiivas started going up in price well before Covid on Amazon. The last pair, I bought, I got from Walmart, and that was before Amazons price skyrocketed to $200-ish a tire.. I just checked Walmart, and they have them for $170 a tire, now. I don't recall what they were last time I checked. They both get them from the same distributor in Florida.

I have GT Radial Icepro3's on my Saturn. I've been super impressed with them. Unfortunately that tire isn't made in truck sizes.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trenton; I was born in Kansas too (Jayhawker) and raised all over the place. Now in Blaine Washington (not Lawrence). Gotta disagree with you regarding studded snow tires on ice. Several years ago studded snow tires caused me to do a 360 into a ditch on I-5, once they started spinning couldn't stop it. No damage just embarrassing , was with my 1965 Chevy Van which is a real lightweight, had sandbags in the back for traction. Got rid of those tires real quick. Do like my 4wd GMC k1500 Burb, the 6,000 lb beast goes anywhere in the snow. Yes we do get snow here, is rare, but since nobody knows how to drive in the snow its a demolition derby. I lived in Greeley Colorado and northern Idaho for a while so got used to snow driving, no brakes drive way ahead of yourself.

I'm afraid I have to be a little skeptical here about your incident, how exactly do you think the studded tires caused it? Momentum can be a *****, and the studs work to stop it, but too little too late is a thing, imagine if you didn't have those studs there? I'm willing to bet you would've ended up in the ditch regardless, likely a little quicker with the lessened traction and only rubber to ice contact. Naturally, I wasn't there, I wouldn't know, but that just sounds a little off... Do correct me, should you feel the need.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m shocked at how popular snow tires are, even preferred over studs and chains. Maybe the States that have chain requirements will start requiring snow tires instead?

I'm guessing you've not tried them yet?
One of the most mind bending driving experiences I've ever had was driving on summer tyres to get snow tyres fitted and the return journey. On the way there (hilly) - and the weather was bad - snowing heavily and drifting with the wind - blizzard conditions - I didn't dare stop or I'd not get moving again but any speed above just maintaining that momentum was terrifying. Snow tyres on and I could generate G force braking. Stop, accelerate away with the tail squatting. The next day on dual carriageway (2 lane freeway) everyone was crawling along on the inside lane at 30 mph and the outside lane was fresh untouched deep snow. I took it and drove past them all at 70mph and still outbraked them for the roundabout.
They do all that and they are a competent summer tyre also.

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canadian observation from dead center of British Columbia: We used Michelin Blizzaks exclusively and loved them until we had an opportunity to compare them side by side to Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires (that spelling IS correct). We have had them both with and without studs. Truly amazing winter tires.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Snow tyres work - they might not look like they should but they do. They are phenomenal. They are also phenomenally expensive here (UK) in the size (17'') needed for my C2500 Suburban. My choice then is an all terrain tyre - but I don't want something too 'clawy' that makes a racket on bare tarmac, consumes fuel, and is otherwise sub-optimal on bare roads. What's the mildest AT tyre that will still work on snow? Seeing as this is about the tread pattern, pics might help. I've included a pic of a tyre I'm considering - does it look like it will cope with snow?

You must be registered for see images attach

Got these delivered yesterday as the Avons couldn't be obtained in the UK. Fitting is Tuesday next week.
These are Continental ContiContactCross ATs in 265/65 -17. The tread is a bit more aggressive than the Avon's. Hoping there's no more snow before next week....